Nandroid

Last Updated:

1. pinn

pinn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hi,

with all the custom roms that are floating around, I thought I might check a few out.
    Now I have nandroid and backed up before I rooted my Hero, but what does it actually backup? I mean will I have to go back and install all apps and home screen set ups etc?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

Nandroid basically takes a snapshot of your phone at a certain period in time. Whatever you have loaded into your phone is copied, excluding what is on the SD card. This allows you to go back and put the phone back to the way it was before you loaded the ROM. Some ROM flashes erase everything and you will have to load the apps. Some just write over what is on your phone. It is usually described in the ROM notes.

3. pinn

Thanks. No way to back up apps at all?

4. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

MyBackups will. But I heard of some problem syncing with the Market afterwards. That would make it where you would not be alerted of updates on the Market. Other than that MyBackups should do the trick.

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

There is one called Titanium Backup that backs up all the links to the market, but you need root access for it. So not very useful at this point, but handy if you decided to switch between different ROMs.

6. pinn

No Xtiro, I said in my OP that I have root - so a nandroid and titanium backup and that should restore absolutely all settings, apps and customizations, will it?
    Thanks and sorry for going on, but you know what it's like when you have your phone working just the way you want...

7. monkegeo

monkegeo Active Member

Yer, but no, but yer, but

In theory it will, but one of the things that most people do when they replace the ROM is partition their SD card. To return to the original state, you need to get the SD card back to its original state before you do the restore. I used Titanium to backup a ModaCo ROM phone and then replaced the SD with a bigger and faster one. Even though I partitioned the new SD card and downloaded Titanium from the market, Titanium would not play. As the new ROM installs all the apps on the card, this is a problem and I ended up having to reflash the ROM and reinstall all of the apps. Fortunately, the market remembers you from your Google account and all your apps are listed.

There are ways and means around this I know, but you can't write to Linux volumes with Windows 7 (you can with earlier versions, but there's no app for 7) and a reflash is pretty fast.

8. pinn

To tell the truth I don't have that many apps installed that I would need to bother with the SD card trick. I should be good to go then!

Thanks all