• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

National Geographic Picture of the Day?

My sister-in-law has this app (Nat. Geo. Picture of the Day) on her Evo and loves it. It pulls from Nat. Geo's. website and changes your Wallpaper to their Picture of the Day. The pictures are amazing and I imagine it's nice to see something different every day.

However, the app no longer exists (cannot be downloaded via the Market) and I can't locate it on her phone so that I can attempt to extract it and add to my phone (her phone is not rooted; browsed via ES File Explorer). Even though the app is no longer available, she does still receive the daily picture updates and I'd like the opportunity to add it to my phone.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find the APK either on her phone or online? I searched in most of the file folders and heavily in //system/app, there's just nothing title anything remotely close to what I think I'm looking for.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I think either AppSaver or BackupEverything create .apk files of the installed apps. So I'd have her make a backup and then hunt for the .apk files (with File Expert?).

However, that wallpaper changer app sounds like something that needs some kind of registration on that NatGeo website. So although you may succeed in hunting down that app, installing it, and running it on your phone, it will still need to be registered before it will function.
And when it does it will of course increase your data traffic. So, if possible, you may want to set it to update only when on WiFi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones