Native 3G Tether HackSupport

Last Updated:

1. Old Member

Old Member Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My dad (64 yo) lives out in the boonies and doesn't have access to high speed wireless internet. I have a rooted Droid Incredible and I have WiFi Tether and also have done this --> http://androidforums.com/1697630-post20.html to allow for native Wifi 3G with my phone.

My question is can you do the same hack or one like it for the Droid X?

If so is it possible w/o root?

Advertisement
  2. Watson111505

Watson111505 JDUB VIP Member

3. Old Member

Old Member Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

4. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

I haven't found the pst menu on the Moto. Just root it.

5. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

I use Easy Tether. It requires a USB cable but if you plan to use it for hours anyway, it's probably better to be connected to your computer so that it's also charging.

6. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

I don't know of anyway to access Wireless Tether (for free anyway) without rooting. I used to use PDAnet exclusively for connecting to the internet before I rooted my phone and it worked fine. However I will say that as far as USB vs Wifi tethering goes, the hotspot runs my computer faster than the USB tether did.

Also when I connected my DX to my computer via the USB cord my battery would get hot after a while, and it would take FOREVER to charge... sometimes it got too hot to charge at all and would then discharge. But now that I'm rooted and use the hotspot feature I plug the phone into the wall instead and it never gets hot (so long as I remember to turn the screen off that is), it charges the battery very quickly, and it not only connects my computer to the internet, but the kids iTouches and anything else that might need it in the house.

So IMO it is definately worth it to root and get Wireless Tether for Root Users.