Native SMS notificationsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. xNJxPlague

xNJxPlague Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey i went from Handcent back to the native sms, and now i don't get the LED notification and it isnt set to 'default'

How can i do both?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Plague, you are best off using either Handcent SMS's Notifications, or Messages's notifications.

If you use Handcent's Notifications, you will have to use 'Clear Notification' to clear it in a reasonable time (it may clear eventually after you read the text in Messages, but not right away).

If you want the LED to blink, you MUST use Handcent SMS Notification, and pretty much, therefore, Handcent SMS in general.

To make sure that you are using Messages instead of Handcent, go to

Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Handcent SMS > (scroll down) Clear Defaults.

This will make it so that, the next time you try to open an SMS message or create it will again ASK you if you want to use Messages or Handcent SMS.

Or you could uninstall Handcent SMS. That will work too. Because of the blinking LED, and EXTENSIVE customization options, I stick with Handcent. It is 20% slower than Messages, but the features are well worth it in my book.

If you need help setting it up so that it doesn't crash on you, I can point you to that information too. Handcent is a little bit picky about what settings you set for Notifications, when they conflict with the standard 'Messages' notifications, and the notifications for SMS built into your phone.

The short answer is, no Handcent, no LED. You could turn Handcent notifications on, Messages notifications OFF, turn every Notification option in Handcent off EXCEPT for the blinking LED (including, make sure you turn off the glowing trackball in Handcent if you're going to leave it enabled in your settings for Messages), and make sure your default action is Messages (do the clear defaults thing I listed if you didn't already). Your notifications will, therefore, come from Handcent, but when you deal with your messages, you will be using Messages. Clicking the notification may not clear your notification though. You may have to, manually. I am unsure of whether you actually have to open Handcent to clear the message, but I think you technically don't.

Good luck!

3. xNJxPlague

xNJxPlague Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you so much, i didnt know that the LED didnt blink with the native sms because i always used handcent. Im a guy for a speed, so i would take the native speed over the slow features of handcent.

Thank you though, helped a lot

4. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

My LED blinks using the simple app, SMS Popup. Using SMS Popup, you still text through the stock messaging program. I got rid of handcent b/c it was so slow to process and compile lists. My highest priority is getting my screen to light up when a message is received.

Not sure about other apps like Chomp. I'm sure others can point out other apps.

5. swe3t23

swe3t23 Well-Known Member

i found that using handcent improved my battery life though.