• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Native Tethering on HTC Evo

my question was more like, will Sprint allow native tethering on Evo (once Froyo launches) since they are charging an extra $30 for it?
Thanks man

Probably will disable the feature except for those who pay the money. They won't charge $30/mo but yet release Froyo which allows it for free.

As the guy said, Root = Free Tether. :D

Upvote 0
Probably will disable the feature except for those who pay the money. They won't charge $30/mo but yet release Froyo which allows it for free.

As the guy said, Root = Free Tether. :D

so what u r saying is that even with Froyo on, EVO won't be able to tether because Sprint will disable it for those who arn't paying $30/month but if I root the device, I will be able to? Sorry if this seems stupid but I am not a geek and am new to this. Thanks

Upvote 0
so what u r saying is that even with Froyo on, EVO won't be able to tether because Sprint will disable it for those who arn't paying $30/month but if I root the device, I will be able to? Sorry if this seems stupid but I am not a geek and am new to this. Thanks

Yep, that seems about right. Sprint won't allow those not paying the $30/mo to use the tether, because, well, then nobody will pay the $30/mo. Sprint also won't get rid of the $30/mo fee because it is extra money in their pocket, and businesses love to make money.

When rooting the device, it will be a way to free up any "locks" on the phone and therefore you can bypass the tether fee. I suspect a rooted 2.2 will have the native tether app, so you will not need to use apps on the market like PDANet.

I am not sure, but supposedly, PdaNet does not require rooting to use so you can supposedly pay the $20 for the app and have tethering on a non-rooted phone, and skip over the $30/mo fee. Though, I'll believe it when I see it.

Upvote 0
I am not sure, but supposedly, PdaNet does not require rooting to use so you can supposedly pay the $20 for the app and have tethering on a non-rooted phone, and skip over the $30/mo fee. Though, I'll believe it when I see it.
Bah, have you ever tried PDANet? It works, and it will work on the EVO.

Besides, there's a difference between a single-device tether and 8-device hotspot...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yep, that seems about right. Sprint won't allow those not paying the $30/mo to use the tether, because, well, then nobody will pay the $30/mo. Sprint also won't get rid of the $30/mo fee because it is extra money in their pocket, and businesses love to make money.

When rooting the device, it will be a way to free up any "locks" on the phone and therefore you can bypass the tether fee. I suspect a rooted 2.2 will have the native tether app, so you will not need to use apps on the market like PDANet.

With PdaNet you tether by hooking up your phone with the USB cord to your computer. It does not do wi-fi tethering. The only way to get wi-fi tethering is by rooting your phone.

I'm going to go with either Easy Tether or PdaNet when I get mine. I only need the internet for myself, so just hooking it up to my computer works for me. I don't like to share =)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones