Native Tethering on HTC Evo

Last Updated:

1. prakharjalan

prakharjalan New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, I was wondering whether htc evo is going to have native tethering once htc rolls out the Froyo for the phone. And what about the $30 monthly charge by Sprint then?

Advertisement
  2. dandm4life

dandm4life Well-Known Member

If you root it will :)

3. prakharjalan

my question was more like, will Sprint allow native tethering on Evo (once Froyo launches) since they are charging an extra $30 for it?
    Thanks man

4. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton Well-Known Member

Probably will disable the feature except for those who pay the money. They won't charge $30/mo but yet release Froyo which allows it for free.

As the guy said, Root = Free Tether. :D

5. prakharjalan

so what u r saying is that even with Froyo on, EVO won't be able to tether because Sprint will disable it for those who arn't paying $30/month but if I root the device, I will be able to? Sorry if this seems stupid but I am not a geek and am new to this. Thanks

6. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton Well-Known Member

Yep, that seems about right. Sprint won't allow those not paying the $30/mo to use the tether, because, well, then nobody will pay the $30/mo. Sprint also won't get rid of the $30/mo fee because it is extra money in their pocket, and businesses love to make money.

When rooting the device, it will be a way to free up any "locks" on the phone and therefore you can bypass the tether fee. I suspect a rooted 2.2 will have the native tether app, so you will not need to use apps on the market like PDANet.

I am not sure, but supposedly, PdaNet does not require rooting to use so you can supposedly pay the $20 for the app and have tethering on a non-rooted phone, and skip over the $30/mo fee. Though, I'll believe it when I see it.

7. TheBarron

TheBarron Well-Known Member

Bah, have you ever tried PDANet? It works, and it will work on the EVO.

Besides, there's a difference between a single-device tether and 8-device hotspot...

8. prakharjalan

So if I root EVO, I will just be able to tether 1 device, not 8? SO basically Sprint is charging us $30/month for 8-device tether?

9. samplerate

samplerate Well-Known Member

No, PDA NET does NOT require root and will let you tether 1 device via USB, but in order to get multiple users you will need to root the device. and use a program like Barnacle Wifi Tether - Android app on AppBrain

10. MyHTCevo

MyHTCevo Well-Known Member

With PdaNet you tether by hooking up your phone with the USB cord to your computer. It does not do wi-fi tethering. The only way to get wi-fi tethering is by rooting your phone.

I'm going to go with either Easy Tether or PdaNet when I get mine. I only need the internet for myself, so just hooking it up to my computer works for me. I don't like to share =)

11. t10

t10 New Member

sorry a little off topic but can anyone confirm if you can make/receive calls while actively using evo hotspot?

12. adseguy

adseguy Well-Known Member

If you are on 4G yes. No, on 3G

t10 likes this.
  13. t10

t10 New Member

Thanks. I could'nt get a definitive answer from RS or Sprint customer service.

14. stroths

stroths Well-Known Member

I can't wait to use this and show those smug AT&T users. "Oh look...I can surf while on a call too AND at 4g. Show me how you surf at 4g on your AT&T phone"