Nav, Voicemail and music (mono) over BT earpiece

Last Updated:

1. RickJ

RickJ Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just discovered this today, and it has been mentioned in part before but I thought I'd share myself because it is an extremely useful feature, not to mention i had seen posts in the past that claimed this was not possible.

Any app that produces sound, be it NAV, Voicemail or the music player can stream through your BT earpiece. I discovered it when my phone pocket dialed a strange combination of '?9797**' I have no idea how to reproduce a '?'

After some reading I found that ** or p (pause?) will open the BT connection. The easiest way to enable it is to save a call contact shortcut of 'p' on the home screen. Just hit that icon prior to using whatever app you want and it will play through the earpiece. Hit the icon again to close the connection so you dont run into battery issue.

Note you can dial ** to achieve the same (which will change into a p) however it will not work if you create a contact with **, you must create it with a p

Advertisement
    nick325i likes this.
  2. RickJ

WOW was this well known already? I felt like I struck gold when I found this out. I know there are plenty of widgets to turn BT on/off, but havent seen any that actually open the connection for apps. Not having Voicemail or Nav instructions through the earpiece was a big dissapointment for me.

Through the searches here I only found vague reference to it.

3. sarspants

sarspants Well-Known Member

Just opening the dialer and pressing * * just changes to a p, does nothing for me. Pressing call does nothing either.

4. RickJ

Yes, open dailer, press **, it changes to a P, call and it will say call ended and will go back to the dailer screen. It appears that nothing has happend.

Assuming you have a BT earpiece, non A2DP, (obv must be paired and connected) play a voicemail, it will now come through your BT. It will also work for any application that creates sound, including NAV, music player and even the phone ringer itself. Calling P will toggle this on/off there is no physical indication, icon, sound or otherwise that you have done anything.

I doubt it would matter what BT you are using, however mine is the Plantronics Discovery 975.

Just as a note, you can tell when the connection is open as you will pick up normal interference, static, pops and crackles even when not actively using the connection