Navagation AppsSupport

Last Updated:

1. carnivalrejectq

carnivalrejectq Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone know of any navigation apps besides the google ones and the stock carrier one?(i have sprint). I dont know maybe its just my phone but i made a simple drive earlier in clear coverage areas and Sprint Navigation just kept re-routing over and over again and when it wasnt it would jsut sit there and not do nothing until i tapped the screen then it would spring back to life with directions that were hit and miss. Is the GPS really that terrible on thsi phone? Sprint Navigation worked perfect on my blackberrys and even the Palm Pre.

Advertisement
  2. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

I use google navigation which runs off of google maps. In my experience it locates your position faster than sprint nav and has only rerouted when I stray from the directions. You also dont have to log in every time you run the app.

3. HeadlessPonch

HeadlessPonch Well-Known Member

I've had the Sprint Nav running on The Wife's Moment while Google Maps was running on mine on one trip, and the other way around on another, with no issues with either program.
    Moments are apparently hit-and-miss, GPS included. I also just read in another thread that having "Use wireless networks" selected in "Location & security settings" can affect GPS accuracy. Maybe try that?

4. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

The 'use wireless networks' option is just an alternative to the actual gps transponder. Obviously the gps uses satellites to locate the gps signal of the phone. The wireless networks options triangulates a signal between cell towers to find the location of the phone. This method is less accurate but can be useful if a gps signal cannot be established, but you have mobile service. Consequently the lowered accuracy can interfere with location accuracy which may result in bad directions once you get closer to your destination than the range at which your location is accurate to. If both options are on gps takes priority with wireless triangulation as a backup.

5. Stoney62

Stoney62 Well-Known Member

I said that cuz I used to have both on and found my location off by several blocks in downtown Omaha. When I unchecked used wireless the My Location was right on the button and kept up while traveling down the street.

6. HeadlessPonch

HeadlessPonch Well-Known Member

Who said that? What? Do I have multiple personalities?!? I even used to live in Omaha!

Oh wait, in the other thread.......

7. carnivalrejectq

when you uncheck use wireless its only unchecking it for gps purposes right?

8. Stoney62

Stoney62 Well-Known Member

No, location too for other apps. Use it when you don't need dead on accuracy as in Weather apps where in the same city would be accurate enough.

9. carnivalrejectq

O ya i dont use gps for much besides ther navigation apps. I meant as in its not gonna disable data in general but i guess that was dumb thought lol.