• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sydney99

Android Expert
Jul 7, 2011
UK
It's it just me, or is the Google navigation app on 4.2.2 absolutely pants, especially compared to the older version I used to have on my s2.

Seems really difficult to get started, and if you leave the screen I can't get it back.

Might try and extract the old version from my s2 and see if that works

Unless anyone else got other suggestions, personally am not really keen on waze or m8 from play store either

Nah, it's the version that came with the firmware unfortunately

I just gave up on the new version today, mid-trip. Pulled into a parking lot, uninstalled the update, and BAM--better version of Google Navigation! (The old version).

I have the Verizon S4. That you cannot install and get to the older version scares me. I might be stuck at Android 4.2 forever, or have to actually buy a third party product. I can't believe how Google managed to totally screw up what was a great product. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
It's it just me, or is the Google navigation app on 4.2.2 absolutely pants

I've never heard that phrase before. Looked it up...and see it's British slang for "lame". Brilliant!

Being an anglophile, I'll have to start incorporating that phrase into everyday speech.

Back on topic...I agree that Google's update is a step in the wrong direction. I hope they steer back on course with the next update.

Upvote 0
Back on topic...I agree that Google's update is a step in the wrong direction. I hope they steer back on course with the next update.

I'm afraid Google is becoming like Microsoft 15-25 years ago, where their non-OS applications were junk. Ignoring Microsoft's blue screen of death issues, with their OS products I always found those at least intuitive. Up until Office 2007, intuitive was the last thing I would say about Microsoft applications.

Just as an example, I can see why in the web version of Google Maps you would have a starting point as a necessary choice when plotting out a route. Making that a necessary choice on a mobile app is the height of stupidity.

And while the new app apparently will reroute you if traffic changed, I never did find a way to request a new route while driving, other than closing out the program and putting in the address again to get choices. Maybe it exists (again the product is no longer intuitive), but if not, that is not an acceptable option in a mobile device while driving. Like most things in this new version, it takes way too much of your attention.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones