1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Navigation for Android

Last Updated:

1. Booky

Booky Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What's the best navigation for Android phones with good maps pack. I never used navigation, but I must go on the long trip so google maps is not the option.

Advertisement
  2. silverrocket

silverrocket Member

why is google maps not the option your android device should have voice nav built right in it works perfectly and its free unlike apple which tries to suck every last dime out of you

3. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

What device do you have? Google Navigation can be used on Android 2.1 in the UK and US.

Other options, the big 3 are:
    Co-Pilot
    Navigon
    Sygic

Take a look through this thread for more options.

4. Chillout

Chillout Well-Known Member

Your navigation that comes stock on your droid works great, I recently used it on a trip to Pittsburgh and it worked flawlessly in and around the city. We already knew our way around but we purposefully made wrong turns and it immediately recalculated every time and even kept kept signal in the tunnels for the most part.

5. Booky

Booky Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

GPRS data is expensive here, especially when you are in other country. So I need something with maps pack so I don't have tu use gprs or edge to work.

6. jev

jev Well-Known Member

Copilot, navigon and sygic do not use Internet but they store their maps on your SD Card...

7. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

+1 for CoPilot. Can be tricky to get installed sometimes, but hasn't put a foot wrong for me since.
    I'll be buying a copy of CoPilot for my girlfriend's iPhone as it works so well.

8. cylonman

cylonman Member

I'm going to bump this thread, instead of making a new one. I'm wondering if there's a better navigation app than Google Maps. I had a horrible time with it last night (or maybe because I'm just a horrible driver when it comes to routes and navigation :p).

9. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

;)

10. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Sygic is very good.

I have a TomTom but I don't use it any more. Sygic is just as good and it cost a lot less than buying a TomTom.

11. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

Can you please, give us a little more information about what issues you are having with Google Maps? Are you missing turns? Do you just don't like the view?

I'm currently using Waze. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze

I personally like it more than Google Maps for the following reasons:
    1. It remembers the zoom level. Google Maps always use a default zoom level that I don't like and I have to re-zoom out every time I use it.
    2. You don't need to choose a destination to use the navigation view. With Google Maps, you need to navigate to a destination to see the navigation view. I sometimes use the naviation view just to check traffic and other road info on my drive.
    3. It picks better routes, especially through traffic. That is my experience and it often chooses a slightly different route every day depending on traffic. In comparison, the Google Maps routes are generally not as good.
    4. It has a feature that allows you to send your location to others and allows them to track your progress. I find this very useful when picking up someone. I send them a link and they can see where I am on my drive. The location is updated every few seconds.