1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Navigation Icon

Last Updated:

1. brownel02

brownel02 Member This Topic's Starter

Preface: Not sure if this question is in the right spot so please move it if I have posted in the wrong space:

Is there a way to change the Navigation vehicle icon from the blue triangle/wedge to something else, car, truck, motorcycle, taco... With so many options available on a rooted phone there must be a way. I am talking about the one that tracks your position NOT the launcher icon. Similar to what you can do with a Garmin GPS.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. brownel02

4 days and not even one reply. I really must have screwed up asking this question. Not even "It's in the FAQ or do a search noobie!!" :)

Am I the only dummie looking to do this?

Lately I have been transitioning from my Magellan (POS) to more Nav use with the Eris. More up to date maps and traffic.

3. j102

j102 Member

Try "Desktop Visualizer" - it will let you assign any application icon or image file to an application shortcut. Also can allow different size icons...

Desktop Visualizer - Android app on AppBrain

4. brownel02

Not talking about the shortcut, I am talking about changing the little triangle that follows you along your navigation route. But thanks for that though, I will use it to mod my desktop.

5. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

I know what you're talking about, I have a Garmin auto GPS with tons of different vehicle icons loaded onto it. I do not know if it's possible to do that with the Google Navigation software, though. But that blue triangle they us on the map must be in a file somewhere, so if somebody sniffs it out, I don't see why it couldn't be exchanged for something different. I'm not rooted though, nor am I a 1337 h@x0r, so all I can tell you is, well, that I know which icon you're talking about! :p

6. JerryG

JerryG Member

Do you have the programs .apk file handy? Can you look through it? Or...

If you can't locate the programs resources with an app like Astro or ES File Manager (as mentioned earlier, and no offense to the forum owner/operators, or the moderators), you might want to check the forums at xda-developers.com.

xda-developers

HTH,

-Jerry

7. brownel02

Yes, I did post on XDA. I don't think there is any offense in asking in both places, both GREAT resources. Not all Dev's lurk in both places so I posted on each forum. I just got one reply yesterday from the XDA site and will look into it (see below).
    I don't know jack about programming (ok a tiny bit) but it may be time to get my hands a little dirty. I will look into the apk and start my searching there.

Reply on xda from daiuton:

Yes, if you make a google layer or tool you can change it, you would look towards google labs to better assist you in how to make it, however no guarantee that they'd make it official

I will look into this as well.

8. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Probably not. I can only speak for myself but I've never even thought about it.

9. brownel02

So then you ARE saying I am the only dummie :p

Oh well, I have been called worse.

I started looking into the G-Labs thing. Didn't get too far yet (thanks work firewall!!).

I also started looking into the manual coding method. I still have to search a bit more for what is needed to extract adk files and how to view/mod the xml files. That will be tonights adventure.

10. JalopyPilot

JalopyPilot New Member

Who were you, brownel02?
    What did you see?

11. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

If you're looking at that small icon that close to want something different, you're probably going to get in a wreck. :D

I personally like the blue arrow, shows you which direction you're going and is easy to see. I don't like it as an app icon, but that's easy to change.