• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Navigation in Australia?

Mark*W

Lurker
Nov 14, 2009
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas/suggestions about navigation apps to use in Australia.

I live in the UK and have an HTC Hero, but in a couple of weeks time, I have a 3 week vacation planned in Australia.

I've got a bit of driving to do, and was looking at the best way of getting a sat nav to help me find my way around. But renting one with the car is fantastically expensive - it would work out around the cost of buying a standalone TomTom.

I tried AndNav2 but that doesn't seem to work on my HTC Hero. I could try Google Maps, but the problem is it will want to download the maps off the Internet, and that would cost me a fortune in data roaming fees. Plus Google Maps doesn't do turn by turn directions, so I'm not sure how useful it would be.

ALK Copilot has Australian maps, but at the moment, I can only find it with GB maps, then I'd have to purchase the Australian maps separately which again works out around the same price as a standalone TomTom.

Anything else out there?

Thanks

Mark

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones