Navigation killing PandoraSupport

Last Updated:

1. EAK128

EAK128 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Asked this in another thread, but thought I should try it here. Now I know for sure it's an issue, cause I got my hands on an unrooted droid and when Pandora is playing and Nav comes on and gives directions, Pandora pauses then comes back on, on its own after the the Nav stops talking.
    I tried playing my music app and that works as it should. So does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I'll give it a try tomorrow for ya, but thus far I have not had the problem.

Of course, only been on BB 0.4 for 3 days, and haven't used nav yet.

3. EAK128

Thanks johnlgalt. Actually I've been having this issue on all the BB froyo builds, only froyo ROMs I've used are BB. I'm thinking it might be that Pandora has not been optimized/programed to play nice with froyo yet.

4. johnlgalt

Sorry that I never made it back to confirm - but I confirmed it hard core.

It killed Pandora completely as opposed to Pandora muting when Nav plays normally.

5. EAK128

Thanks john, for confirming. You think it's just a Pandora thing? As in it hasn't been updated to play nice with froyo?

6. johnlgalt

It's Pandora - when I got a call it stopped playing as well. before it would continue to play but be muted in the background.

I suppose I should say it is a Pandora and / or FroYo thing....Only started happening to me after I loaded FroYo.

Anyone else wanna chime in on this?

7. shldabenacowboy

shldabenacowboy New Member

This is an issue with Pandora on Android 2.2. It has been reported to Google by someone with a Nexus One saying that it broke after the OTA update to 2.2.

Issue 9569 - android - Google Maps navigation voice prompts stops Pandora music playing - Project Hosting on Google Code

According to the poster, he also reported it to Pandora and they said they are working on a fix.

All I know is that its very annoying (and dangerous because everytime the Nav starts talking I have to look at my phone while I'm driving to restart Pandora). Hopefully they fix this soon.

I have also noticed that after I unplug the Aux line that I have connecting my phone to my car stereo, Pandora continues to play and switches to the phone speaker. Previously, it would pause when I unplugged the cable. Not sure if this is related or not.

8. johnlgalt

Thanks for the report. I knew it was a Pandora issue after my testing, b/ it does it all the time.

A recent Pandora update seemed to have fixed it, but with the very last update it is broken again.

9. peregrins2

peregrins2 New Member

I had a couple of emails back and forth with Pandora and they told me it would have to be fixed on the Droid side, the OS. It happened with the upgrade. And any phone calls that come in as well...pause, no automatic restart. It's very annoying!

10. johnlgalt

Yeah, it is very annoying, but Pandora is correct - it is OS specific - if you take any of the last 0 versions of Pandora and run it on 2.1 ROMs, the issue does not manifest - only 2.2 ROMs have this issue - and I suppose it has to do with the way that 2.2 is written...I think that the new methodology for playing sound files for notifications actually takes exclusive control of the sound system, and all of a sudden, Pandora thinks "Oh, my, I have no access to sound - so let me stop."

basically, I think it is a manifestation of the fact that Pandora is supposed to stop playing when the headphones are removed from the jack - b/c Pandora senses that there are no longer headphones there, thus thinking "Oh, my, I have no access to sound - so let me stop."

Sound familiar? :p

11. axisofoil

axisofoil Well-Known Member

But... other media players like doubletwist, for example, don't have this problem... even though they also pause when you remove headphones.

12. jasperwill

jasperwill Well-Known Member

i actually do get this same issue using the stock media player on my incredible as well.
    i really hope we can find a solution for this because i really loved being able to listen to music while playing the nav software to my speakers of my car.

13. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

Still no solution?
    Have they decided if its a android problem or a pandora problem?

Can't believe it would take so long to fix. Pandora has to be one of the most popular apps.

14. jasperwill

jasperwill Well-Known Member

so i downloaded slacker radio, and it does not have the same issue as pandora and the music app do for me.
    i personally dont like slacker because of the number of advertisements there are. obviously this is a problem with pandora though...

15. skad8erateher

skad8erateher New Member

I'm having the same issue on a Rooted Droid Incredible running 2.2

16. EAK128

Wooohooo!!! Pandora 1.5 is out and they fixed the issue!!!

Crashumbc likes this.
  17. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

downloading now, so I'll see tonight :)