Navigation/maps issueSupport

Last Updated:

1. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi I've had an odd issue with my G2 since I purchased it Sunday. When I first took it out of the box, I went to Google Maps to see how it looked and it had my location pegged at my office in downtown Chicago even though I was 20 miles away and had never been down to my office with the G2 previously. Once I turned on the GPS signal, it found me okay, but every now and then it will insist that I'm downtown when I'm not! Frankly, I have no idea how it "knew" my office was downtown.

On the iPhone, I never had to worry about turning on GPS signals or anything...is that just something I need to leave on all the time with the G2?

PS love the navigation feature. Worked great for me the other day.

Advertisement
  2. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

"turning on" your gps doesn't mean its on all the time - you're just giving permission for gps to run if/when an app ever needs it

so its not like its draining batt all the time when you're in a meeting or whatever

as for how it "knew" where your office was... maybe your office address is in your contact info?? maybe it "cheats" and looks for that kinda info?? idunno - its a good question!

i know it will "try" to determine your location via wireless hotspots around you if gps isn't on (iphone/ipod touch do that too) - but if you'd *never* been there w/ the g2.... idunno!

3. boloj

boloj Active Member

Is this your first android phone or have you joined Latitude on another phone? That could be why you showed up at your office.