navigation spontaneously switching screensSupport

Last Updated:

1. chinatti

chinatti Member This Topic's Starter

Just starting to play around with the new X. I tried the car dock on my first trip with nav without having the charging cable plugged in. Nav seemed to stay on the turn-by-turn screen just fine, except that the screen kept timing out (as expected running on battery). Today I also plugged in a charging cable. Nav started out working fine, but then several times during my trip the X inexplicably switched away from the turn-by-turn screen to the directions screen (or to the "maps" top-down screen). I didn't see anything in the options, and can't imagine why the thing would be switching.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Also, I just updated to the latest Google Maps application (last night, between the two nav tests), so maybe that had something to do with it....

Advertisement
  2. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

I thin it tries to adjust on what it thinks you need. Was that way on the inc too.

3. herbivore

herbivore Well-Known Member

I noticed this today also. I can't think of any reason I might need the screen to change when it did. It happened ~4 times during a 25 minute drive. I think it must be a bug, it is to annoying to be a feature.

4. chinatti

Agreed. There's no reason why I would suddenly want it to switch to the list of turns ...

Did you update to the latest Google Maps version? I'm running version 4305.

Hope they fix it soon, the nav works pretty well otherwise!

5. Birdman2004

Birdman2004 Well-Known Member

Mine does the same thing. I'm following the "car" on the nav screen and it just randomly leaves the nav screen and goes back to my home screen. It IS still running the navigation though. But you just have to use the little drop-down notification list on the home screen to get back to the turn by turn nav screen. it is kinda annoying, especially when you are in heavy traffic. not too safe to say the least.

6. chinatti

Is there a place to reports apparent bugs like this to Google?

7. Birdman2004

8. chinatti

Thanks I think. Although I'm not sure I get your point ... should I have known the URL, then typed that into Google in order to get a link to that URL? Hmmm...

Another related question, is the "navigation" app the same as the "Google Maps" app? Or are they different apps? They show up as different application icons...

9. Birdman2004

don't know. this is as close to anything that i could find. You could try Googling it though! :D I read in another forum that Google keeps an eye on those forums, so I'm sure if you post anything there, it will be looked at and worked on or either moved to the right place by a mod.

10. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Navigation is a separate apk when I extracted them from the Incredible. They are tightly integrated though.

11. chinatti

It definitely seems like a separate app now that I look at it. In the "Nav" app, there's a button to go to "Google Maps", which gives a different top-down view.

So is the Nav App a Google app, or a Motorola app?

12. slay65

slay65 Active Member

Google App.

P1DroidX likes this.
  13. berkisho

berkisho Member

Having the same issue while use the Verizon car dock and charging cable.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

14. chinatti

15. P1DroidX

P1DroidX Active Member

My Droid X has never worked right in navigation. My other Droid X has the same issue. When I got the phone I was told that VZ Navigator worked on the Droid X, then they told me it doesn't a couple days later. boo..:mad: It seems that something is causing navigator to be closed and although still running and will give you directions, you have to pull down the top bar and tap navigator to get the maps to come back. i hope that they get this fixed soon, in the mean time, does any one have a work around?

EDIT: Found work around. This seems to happen only when car dock app has been loaded. I had to do a hard re-boot (remove battery while on, wait 30 seconds, replace battery) to get the bug from car dock to go away, using the navigator function after that worked with out crashing for me.

16. htom

htom Well-Known Member

I have the same issue. I am going to try it without the dock to see if it is related to the dock specifically. I will report this to the google forums as well.

17. Helicrewchief

Helicrewchief Well-Known Member

Same issue without a dock or a charging cable as well. It is completely random sometimes it'll take 10 seconds sometimes 20 minutes. Very annoying.

18. pm1066

pm1066 Well-Known Member

FWIW, mine did this the first time I used Nav. After a week of using it solid, no problems with either the screen blanking out or switching to Maps view.

19. Jpeluso8

Jpeluso8 Active Member

MINE started doing the same thing today!!!! Horrible..it use dto work perfectly...any resolve?

20. Jpeluso8

Jpeluso8 Active Member

by the way, should I NOT install the google maps update 4.4? I have the 4.3 and it says update is available..

21. htom

htom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. Can we just taskkill the car dock app and serve the same function as the reboot?

As for the GMaps update yesterday, I had 4.3 when I had the issues, maybe 4.4 has a fix but need to test it.

22. keithm

keithm Member

still did it with me even after the update.

downloaded ndrive last night (large download) and worked like a charm this morning. so maybe there is a problem with google maps. note: sound is still very low on my droid x

23. Jpeluso8

Jpeluso8 Active Member

Any fix yet occur to resolve this lame navigation issue? And whats ndrive?

24. novemberwhiskey

novemberwhiskey Well-Known Member

My nav did this 2-3 times.

Yesterday, I used it for two 1-hour commutes and had no problems. I don't know if it has been fixed or not, but the phone has been through the update, hard resets/battery pulls, soft resets, and the maps update in between.

25. htom

htom Well-Known Member

I did a 45 min ride today after the gmaps update yesterday and there wasn't a problem. My 5 hour trip over the weekend had issues pre-update.

My version is exactly the same as the post below this one.