Navigation talking all technical to meSupport

Last Updated:

1. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

The Navigation app keeps on talking rubbish to me.
    It just bursts into speech starting off with "XML VERSION"....and talks a load of XML code to me.

There is no Navigation app in Manage Applications for me to try to do a clear cache/data etc. so I dont have a clue what to try!

I'm now on Sicopat's KI4 ROM, but this happened to me when I was on stock KG3 also so its nothing to do with me upgrading.

2. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

maybe try to flash back to stock rom and see what happens
  3. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

It was happening before on stock KG3
  4. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

let me rephrase that
    flash the "official" firmware see what happens
  5. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

KG3 was "official". (stock)
  6. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

u got that thru kies?
  7. iynCognito

iynCognito Well-Known Member

The app is part of maps so clear the cache from there.
  8. colonels

colonels Active Member

the problem is with speech engine choice

i believe pico is the one you need to select in your settings (the robotic sounding one) in the text to speech settings (not in navigation settings)

the navigation speech and the phone software speech are conflicting

if set correctly you will only hear robotic verbal commands, if you still hear the fluid speech you need to select the other one as default

-----------------original source:
    I found the answer to the navigator voice problem

My Droid 2 voice navigation worked fine and then in the middle of a navigation it changed to the male synthesized voice spouting URLs and nothing useful. Somehow, without any help from me, my TTS changed. Here's info and the fix:

Do you have Google Translate with eSpeak TTS installed? TTS stands for Text-To-Speech, which is what they call software that turns text into speech. There may be two TTS engines on your phone, Pico and eSpeak. The difference between Pico & eSpeak is that Pico sounds like a pleasant, normal person and eSpeak sounds like a 1980's synthesized voice. Pico is Google's engine, so if you're on an Android phone it might work better for you.

The problem with Google Maps turn by turn voice directions apparently lies with the Text-to-speech engine. eSpeak TTS doesn’t play well with Google Maps 5.0! Go figure!

To fix the problem go to settings, Voice input & output, Text-to-speech settings, Under Default Engine choose Pico TTS. This corrected the problem in Google Maps & Navigator. Hopefully this solution will work for you also.
    Hawker likes this.
  9. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

I shall give that a bash and give it a go on the way home from work tonight
    cheers butty!
  10. Screech

Screech Well-Known Member Contributor

Well, if it is the TTS engine issue the SVOX Classic TTS engine works fine with navigation. I use the Victoria (British Female) voice pack.