navigation without internet?Support

Last Updated:

1. nightwalkerone

nightwalkerone Member This Topic's Starter

hey i apologize if this is a stupid questions, but i couldnt find it anywhere on the desire pages..

is there an app of some sort that i can use to download maps onto my phone, to store on my sd card? i only use the internet through wi-fi, and i have read on all the specs pages for the desire that it has an internal GPS chip..

so can i use it without the internet? i know that google maps wont work unless you have the internet on at all time, and i have searched through the app store for a map (of australia, since that is where i live) but to no avail.

suggestions? points? tips? would all be appreciated

Advertisement
  2. Steve_S_T

Steve_S_T Well-Known Member

Do you mean you're looking for a non browser based navigation system or for one without any data usage at all?

3. nightwalkerone

one without any data usage at all,

and i guess the other one as well, providing it fitted my requirements. the main point is for it to not have to use any internet while im using it. if i have to download through wifi that is fine, but i want to be able to walk around the streets with internet turned off.

(and not get lost)

4. Its_Red

Its_Red Well-Known Member

Copilot 8 but it costs around

5. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

6. nightwalkerone

thanks guys ill check these out and see if any are available in aus

7. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member

I use RMaps for offline mapping, although it doesn't have turn-by-turn navigation.
    RMaps v0.8.0 Application for Android | Travel

It's free and comprehensive, but it lacks pinch zoom and downloading the maps (using Mobile Atlas Creator) takes a bit of getting used to. Once you get it figured out, you can grab Google maps of anywhere, save them as an SQLite file and copy that to your SD card.

Vip8888 and edin1 like this.
  8. michiel.van.wessem

michiel.van.wessem Well-Known Member

See if you can find MapDroyd on the market. It allows you to download maps to your SD card for offline usage. You can then choose which maps (country wise) you like to download. However it does lack the pinch-zoom feature that google has and it does not offer great detail (just about enough I would say).

I have for example, The UK, Netherlands, Belgium, France and Western Germany on the phone "just in case".

-M.

Vip8888, wiggo123 and edin1 like this.
  9. Ebbe

Ebbe Member

Hi, I'am looking for a navigation system, GPS, for HTC Desire, that I can use without internet connections. Just like a handheld Garmin GPSMAP xxx e.g.. I want to use it abroad (I live in Denmark) without roaming. Can any of the ones you mention OFI do that?
    Ebbe

10. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member

Both Mapdroyd and RMaps (see the 2 posts directly before yours) do, they save the maps to your SD card before you leave. Mapdroyd downloads its data from OpenStreetMap which doesn't always very complete. RMaps needs the maps downloaded on a PC as I said, but it can get the data from Google, Microsoft (Bing), OpenStreetMap or others.

Edit: Opps, you were responding to OFI. I thought that was some internet acronym like BRB or WTF :)

Yes, all he/she suggests except AndNav (which streams from OpenStreetMap too) will work, however, they're not free.

Ebbe likes this.
  11. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Well you're not far off ;)

I think CoPilot is one of the cheapest but you'll probably have to get the full Europe package to cover Denmark.

12. Ebbe

Ebbe Member

Thanks for the help! I have now searched info on the suggestions of OFI. iGo My Way: I can't see how to get it, FAQs are in Hungarian (I think), no price, not in Market. CoPilot Live 8: markings go from 1 to 5. Big problems reported with upgrading and installation. Poor support. Navigon: I haven't been able to dig any negative nor positive markings up. Price in DK 600DKK. So: does anybody have experience actually using any of these nav systems and care to share with me?
    Ebbe

13. Bootsock

Bootsock Well-Known Member

Sounds like copilot is what you are after...

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

14. byron2010

byron2010 New Member

edited - just read up on CoPilot...

Seems like a lot of folks are having problems with old maps.and Navigon doesn't seem to exist.

.. Any suggestions from any Australians/New Zelanders on which GPS (with voice commands) is best?

15. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

I'm in Auckland and no problems with Co-Pilot here, the comments I've seen were all from Australians, so possibly maps less up to date over there...

16. byron2010

byron2010 New Member

ok cool... Well I'll download CoPilot and see how i go

17. Vip8888

Vip8888 Member

Unless they've changed it, you can try out Navigon for free for a period of time (28 days?), but you need an Internet connection when starting the program (presumably to validate how many days you have left of the trial). I only tried it briefly myself before having to format my SD card, and then Google released their free option so haven't tested it since, but it seemed all right.

18. biggdaniell

biggdaniell Well-Known Member

Actually "Igo my way 2009" only work on 480x320 screens (on Desire it will fill only a quarter of the screen).

There is another software based on IGO (which means it work with IGO maps/poi/etc) called Motonav but it is optimized to work on devices with 480x854 resolution so you will miss 54 pixels. Some wise guys managed to modify this app to nicely work on 480x800 screens (Desire/Nexus) but you can't buy it (since it is modded) so you'll need to find it yourself.

This is by far the best app right now for navigation (offline or online) that work on Desire!

19. CitizenIdeas

CitizenIdeas Member

Free Google Offline turn-by-turn Navigation option without need to hack/root or install any third party app.. here