Navigation?General

Last Updated:

1. Termin8

Termin8 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When is GPS navigation going to be available for the Eris?

Advertisement
  2. John58543

John58543 Well-Known Member

When Android 2.1 update is released for the Eris. There is a lot about this in the forum if you want more details

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

3. Almac

Almac Member

You can do it on the leaked 2.1. I have it and it works great!!

4. Termin8

Anyone have a release date for the update from Verizon?

5. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

no, there is no date set. you can upgrade manually now but that is up to you. there are threads in this section, some stickied, that explain more about the 2.1 update.

6. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

If you do not wish to install either of the leaked 2.1 version on your phone there are free and paid apps in the market that offer spoken turn by turn GPS navigation. While none of them perform as well as Google Nav, IMHO, they are available for the 1.5 OS.

7. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

If you are on 1.5 then i'd think about rooting your phone, when you root you'll be updated to 2.1 second leak. Its pretty nice.

8. Termin8

Seems like there's some down sides to using the "leaked" update though. I think I'm probably better off waiting for the finalized update from Verizon.

9. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

No downsides that i know of. Everything works perfectly smooth and with root access i have access to some really cool and useful apps. The bugs being reported are mostly on the first leak not the second one which most roms are built on.

10. dracozny

dracozny Well-Known Member

sorry to burst your bubble but i find more and more daily on the latest 2.1 root

11. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

You aren't bursting my bubble, my handset works just fine. I've not run into any problems so far, and for what i use it for things couldn't be better.

12. dracozny

dracozny Well-Known Member

outside of navigation which is still a bit wonky in my state I have not found much use for 2.1 other than for having root access. the browser crashing and astrid not syncing is a big boon for me.

13. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

I've not had any browser crashes, then again i don't use it too often. I have no idea what astrid is. But i'm guessing wireless tethering, titanium backup and amons recovery image access would nullify any downsides you would encounter.

14. Termin8

Can you point me to one you like?

15. maddawg

maddawg Member

I used it yesterday on 2.1 in my cts (which has factory nav) and it was just as good if not better.

I searched my home computer for the address I was going to, i emailed myself the directions link in google, I opened the email and clicked the link and went to maps. I picked my current location and chose driving directions. I changed the map to satellite view and turned on voice guidance and it was perfect and on the money.
    Turns were right where they should be and it ever re-routed me around some traffic I wanted to avoid.

I won't need a factory nav anymore as long as I have a phone with this feature!!!! I'm surprised how good it actually did!

16. zebug

zebug Well-Known Member

THIS is the main reason I want 2.1

17. OfTheDamned

18. Nabraham

Nabraham Well-Known Member

19. OfTheDamned

I really liked waze for the traffic information. The community map building idea was pretty cool to me too. I tried copilot and the maps were too behind for me. The area I live in is in a constant state of growth and maps that are 2 or 3 months old can be really out of date.

I really like Google Nav over anything else I have tried (except maybe Garmin on my Blackberry THAT was amazing for just about everything). I just wish Google Nav would add in traffic avoidance and/or better traffic information updates. It would be cool if you could add some of the traffic apps out there as a layer to the navigation too.

20. Termin8

Finally decided to go with Telenav after doing some reading on the various apps. Unfortunately, it's not in the marketplace. Is it not available for the Eris?

21. hattrick

hattrick Well-Known Member

If you don't see it on the market then the devise or version of the OS is not supported by the app

22. Termin8

Just cracks me up that my old flip-phone had VZ Navigator that worked great but, this hot-shot smartphone has nothing.

23. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

Didn't you have to pay $10 a month for VZ Navigator?

Google navigation works just fine for me on my Eris running 2.1

24. Termin8

Yeah, and SOMEDAY Verizon will release the update to the rest of us. If it was THAT big of a deal to me, I'd take a shot at the leaked update but, it seems like it's not without some bugs. My phone works just fine, and the last thing I want to do is screw it up by installing the update prematurely.
    It was just that I have a business trip next month, and wanted to use my phone for GPS Nav.
    Currently, I'm trying Waze but it has some serious limitations with respect to finding destinations. From what I can see, it looks like you're limited to destinations that other users have logged into the system. Not terribly useful.

25. ChicoFox

ChicoFox Active Member