NE2+mail in, did verizon guy rip me off?

Last Updated:

1. cg002h

cg002h Member This Topic's Starter

Just tonight I went into a local verizon store and picked up the motorola droid (no incredibles available). I've been available for a new every two for over a year and the droid was priced at 299 - 100 mail in rebate. The guy said they could take care of the rebate at the register.

i wasn't even thinking about my new every two rebate, but after i played with it awhile, i started thinking. On my receipt it only shows 100 off for the new every two. While I was checking out and playing with the phone the guy cut off part of the box with the UPC, and even that didn't register for me. but now I'm thinking he took the 100 off for new every two and plans to send in the UPC for the mail in rebate on his own.

Did he screw me out of 100 bucks?

If so, do I call verizon, do i confront him at the store?

I do realize that proving this may be hard on my part because he has the upc code, i took the box home, etc. but I'll be damned if i let someone rip me off.

Am i in the right, and what should I do? Thanks for any responses.

Advertisement
  2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

My guess would be you'll receive a rebate check. Call Verizon or talk to the store if you're worried. You shouldn't be scared to ask what exactly the reps are doing with your account. I wouldn't go in there accusing anyone of anything though because chances are he was just doing you a favor by mailing it in for you with your account address as the return address for the rebate.

cg002h likes this.
  3. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

You payed $199, correct? It means you don't get to mail in to get your $100 back because you never spent it.

4. cg002h

My only concern is wouldn't you mention it to someone that, "hey, by the way you'll have $100 bucks in the mail soon?" i would.

5. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

6. cg002h

The rebate is standard for anybody off the street, the NE2 100 off is for customer loyalty. they aren't at all related or mutually exclusive.

7. cg002h

ha, yeah I know its bad timing, but i couldn't help it, my phone got wet and I needed a new one right away for work/gf/etc.

8. potatolover1102

You are fine if the guy did it for you. You are also right in saying they are not realted.

cg002h likes this.
  9. potatolover1102

That makes since and hey you always have the thirty days to see if we get more official word!

cg002h likes this.
  10. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

Chances are that the rep is mailing that in for you and you'll get your rebate mailed to your account address. I would call the verizon 800 number and ask them about it. If he did mail it for you, then he would have documented it on your account.

Worst case scenario he mailed it in and put his address in as the mail to address. If this is the case, you'll know because you can look it up online. I believe it takes about fourteen days for verizon to get your rebate and process it. Just login to your online account Iand find the rebate section. It will tell you if the rebate had been sent in. Then just call verizon and ask them about where that rebate is being mailed to. From there you can then explain what happened and have them change the address. Then you can go after the rep since you have proof that he tried to steal your rebate.

Again, I would first call the 800 number and see if the rep documented what he did with your rebate. Then you can take further action if necessary.

Also, did you sign the rebate copy of your receipt? If I remember correctly, I had to sign that copy and provide an email address before I could send it in for my rebate.

Kratos

cg002h likes this.
  11. cg002h

I never filled anything out on a rebate form. I signed several contract- related papers, but I'm pretty sure no rebate form, never gave my email address, etc. I hope VZ keeps that good track of their rebates, it makes sense for them to, to avoid this temptation. Also, it is hard to believe a rep would risk his job for $100, but people do stupid things for cash. Thanks for all the input so far. I'll give Verizon a call.

12. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

Any time. The rebate form looks exactly like the receipt, except that it is longer and has all the legal info and directions for the rebate on it. But it prints out of the same machine as the purchase receipt.

Good luck and I hope you are able to ease your mind and rectify this situation.

Kratos

13. sherri

sherri Well-Known Member

This is where I get confused...How is Best Buy able to give the INSTANT REBATE? No mailing in papers and waiting for Verizon Gift Card.

When I got my Droid on release day (at a Verizon Store), I had the NE2 $100 credit, and there was a $100 rebate. Phone was $199.00 (after rebate). I paid (at register) approximately $100.00, and filed for rebate at home. Got it a few weeks later, so phone "really" was free...

However, had I did the exact same thing at a Best Buy Store, they would have given me my NE2 $100 credit, and the $100 rebate would have come off immediately, so no need for me to "lay out" money.

Why is this only available at Best Buy? Is Verizon hoping people won't be bothered filling out their rebate forms, and they will end up with extra money???:confused:

14. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

hmmm I paid 60 for mine at bestbuy. thank god for pricematch

15. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

well hell yes thats what they want, and I know on a few phones I have forgotten to mail in the stupid rebate :mad:

16. 182crazy

182crazy Active Member

Hey i live in Canada We have the Motorola Milestone which is equivalent to the Droid Which im thinking of getting in the next few day's do you guys think i should wait for the Droid 2 because in canada these phones always come to us later

17. chris3896

chris3896 Active Member

Just to let you know the Moto Droid is available at Best Buy Mobile for $99 no mail in rebate lol...

18. chris3896

chris3896 Active Member

Best Buy works out a different deal with the carriers as an authorized retailer basically. It's great. I work there and will NEVER EVER fill out another rebate form for as long as I live haha... Hopefully this sets a standard and companies will do away with this "false" advertising of rebates. Trust me, if you have ever forgotten a rebate you will kick yourself over and over again until you realize they don't ever need to see the cursed things anymore.

19. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

+ $35 activation fee
    + $45 in taxes (since they hit you for taxes on the "actual" price of the phone - at least in CA)

20. chris3896

chris3896 Active Member

Activation fee is just going to be a standard regardless of where you get it (assuming you are a new customer). And if those taxes are on the price of the actual phone, then regardless of where you get it once again shouldn't matter. So in my eyes I see it as win win....

21. potatolover1102

Also know that bestbuy can not do new every two or verizon specials.

22. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member

Walmart has the same deal, i just seen it like 2 days ago:D

The walmart card said it was available for new subscribers or people using their new every2.

23. skyline987

skyline987 Well-Known Member

Wrong. The rep at verizon cut the upc off the box already so it cant be returned even within the 30 days

24. chris3896

chris3896 Active Member

True but the funny part is:

When Verizon does specials, the majority of the prices are still cheaper AFTER all the rebates. Buy a Droid get an Eris free... We had the Droid for $199 and Eris for FREE and no rebates and no hassle...and yet people still argued why we didn't run that special. ITS THE SAME THING!!!

Same deal with the new every two. The discount and price match is at the discretion of the manager. Like I said generally the prices are going to be the same after rebate anyway.

And do you really want someone from Walmart selling you a phone or attempting to show you how to use your smartphone? Have you ever been to the website peopleofwalmart.com? lol....

Skyline, you are incorrect about the rebate. As long as you return the phone within 30 days they will simply cancel the rebate. The 30 days is an absolute and every customer is allowed to return the phone (especially if there is something wrong with it). It is at the discretion of the manager (of VZW corporate stores) as to whether or not they charge you a restocking fee but generally they don't unless you just repeatedly return shit.

25. chris3896

chris3896 Active Member

Pretty much haha... They hope that you forget to send it in and pocket the extra money. That's why you usually only have 30 days to fill it out and send it back. They hope you forget. If you remember to fill it out, the reason it takes 6-8 weeks is so that they make sure you don't return the phone within the alotted 30 days. Then they take an extra few weeks and hope that you forget to check for your money and if for some reason there was a "glitch" you wouldn't remember to contact about it. Voila....They have made a few hundred dollars off you. Now multiply that by the millions of subscribers that renew or join Verizon and you have boatloads of cash haha...