• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NE2+mail in, did verizon guy rip me off?

Skyline, you are incorrect about the rebate. As long as you return the phone within 30 days they will simply cancel the rebate. The 30 days is an absolute and every customer is allowed to return the phone (especially if there is something wrong with it). It is at the discretion of the manager (of VZW corporate stores) as to whether or not they charge you a restocking fee but generally they don't unless you just repeatedly return shit.

Good call Chris. The last time i got a phone from a vzw store they made a big deal outta telling me to not cut the upc out before i was sure i wanted to keep it. I've since stopped going to that particular store because the reps are rude and not very knowledgeable about the products they're selling/troubleshooting (hell a friend of mine just bought a Samsung Intensity because he couldnt afford a droid at the time and he asked if he could exchange it in 30 days for a Droid if he had the money and they flat out told him no). The last few phones i ordered over the phone because i had early upgrade promotions the store wouldn't honor so i dont really deal with them alot.

Anyway i double checked the website and
" If you return a wireless device without a UPC on the box, the amount of the refund will be reduced by the amount of any mail?in rebate that was available for the wireless device at the time of purchase. Purchases made by cash or check, credit card or gift card will be refunded by check, credit card or gift card, respectively."

Upvote 0
Dont call in to a rep and ask what the store did. ever. The stores never document anything they do even though they are supposed to. If you have questions about your rebate go back to THAT SALES REP and ask what he did. 99% of the time customer care will have no idea what happened in the store other than seeing that a sale took place.

Upvote 0
The device can be returned without the barcode label, they will not refund the money you paid that was rebate elligible because the theory is that you've mailed in the rebate and will still receive that money.

I have encountered stores and/or individual reps who will mail in rebate forms on behalf of the customer. Since every purchase includes tracking the serial number of the device which is on the barcode label, rebate form, customer's account, etc, it would be ridiculously stupid of the rep to attempt to commit fraud this way.

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the Reps aren't annoying as hell. They work on commission and hate dealing with people that aren't going to make them money. When a phone comes back it goes against their numbers and they basically lose money on the return. Therefore don't be surprised if people get ticked off at how rude or useless they are when it comes to learning how to use their phone or diagnosing problems. So yes they are going to tell you you can't return this and they won't refund you that but I promise you they will because they HAVE to. It's corporate policy and they have to even if they tell you you can't just because they don't want to.

Let's just say we get a lot of customers that come in pissed off at the Verizon reps and we have to tell them something simple (such as how to unlock the phone) to get them to use their phone that the Verizon reps didn't even bother to tell them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones