• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NE2 vs 1-year upgrade?

DILands

Android Expert
Apr 8, 2010
King of Prussia PA 19406
Hey all - my wife has the primary line on our plan, and is eligible for a 1-Year upgrade. When I asked VZW what that was - they said 2-year upgrade price + $20. I actually didn't know that.

So, I suggested she take the upgrade, and pay the $20. She siad that in May, she'll be able to get the last NE2 pricing. I though NE2 was already gone - what's the NE2 pricing (or discount)?

TIA!

If you upgraded when the NE2 was still in existence, then you have one last discount coming. It's probably called a "loyalty discount" in your MyVerizon account. The NE2 will be a small, $30 or $50, discount off the top of the 2-year price for a new phone.

If she wants a new phone now, the Annual Upgrade is a better deal, if she can wait, the discount may be more appealing. Regardless, only the Verizon website, corporate stores, and some other retailers (my local premium does, many don't from what I've read online) will recognize these upgrade benefits, so plan to go directly through Verizon if you want to take advantage.

Reactions: DILands
Upvote 0
Yep. They only offer it on the primary line... But maybe you could get the person on the primary line to "upgrade" and then swap phones? This is possible. They really don't care which phone is activated on which line of a family plan, as long as they have you locked in to another 2 year contract.

I've actually used the 1-year upgrade 3 times now. It seems to be excellent timing, since I usually have issues with my smartphone about 13 mo. after getting it.

Upvote 0
Both the annual upgrade and the ne2 have gone the way of the dinosaur.

The early upgrade/annual upgrade is generally *NOT* a better deal than a NE2 upgrade. The EU upgrade generally involves a $20 fee to upgrade and you get the 2 year pricing with no additional credits. A NE2 upgrade does not have any fee and gives the primary line only a credit toward the phone. The only way to avoid the $20 fee is to place the order online.

Just clarifying the differences between the two.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones