Need a backup strategy --

Last Updated:

1. notaguru

notaguru Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This Eris is rooted, with KaosFroyo v37 and Pirelli Z-rated tires. It's fast, stable, functional - everything I'd hoped.

I have a nandroid save of the unit on v34, which I'd like to keep - just in case. If I do a nandroid backup, of v37, will it write over v34?

I have mybackup pro and Titanium free.

This Eris isn't used for music or video, so memory is far from used up. Given these conditions and resources, and considering my ignorance, what's my best backup strategy?

THANKS!

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

No, Nandroids do not overwrite each other. I have a good dozen on my SD card.

For backup, I always Nandroid before I do anything risky, just in case. Otherwise, I have Titanium Backup donation that allows me to schedule backups each night (new apps and newer versions.) I also have SMS Backup & Restore set to backup at 4 am and then every 8 hours; Call Logs Backup & Restore set to backup every night at 1 am. I also use SMS Backup+ to backup all texts as they are received to gmail; that can also restore, on the off chance my SD card is corrupted. Lastly, though this cannot restore, I use an app called CallTrack to record every call to a Google Calendar, again, just to have a record online as opposed to on the SD card. Every once in a while I connect the SD card and back it up to my computer.

Call Logs Backup & Restore - Android app on AppBrain
    SMS Backup & Restore - Android app on AppBrain
    SMS Backup+ - Android app on AppBrain
    CallTrack - Android app on AppBrain

3. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

The only thing I can add to doogald's excellent post is to be sure to rename the Nandroid folders appropriately so that you can readily identify their contents at a later date.

For instance, if I were to make a nandroid backup right now, a folder would be created with a name in the format: BDS-YYYYMMDD-HHMM, for instance, something like

BDS-20101024-1748

If I was using a CELB v3.2 ROM, I would probably rename that folder (using a file manager app) to something like

BDS-CELBv3.2-20101024-1748

This strategy retains both the timestamp (YYYYMMDD-HHMM), and also the nature of the backup (especially important for people who "ROM hop").

Don't use any spaces, punctuation, or other special characters when you rename the backup folder(s) - restrict the characters you use to:

- letters (upper & lower case)
    - digits
    - underscore, dash, and dot

This will prevent you from "breaking" the Nandroid restore functionality.

eu1

4. notaguru

notaguru Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Excellent, and thank you.
    It appears that nandroid does it all, and that neither mybackup nor titanium are necessary. Is that correct?

5. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

It is correct to say that Nandroid backups capture "everything". OTOH, use of Titanium and other apps provides you certain benefits when you only want to restore some things.

In particular, when customizing a new ROM from scratch, the ability to restore only certain things comes in handy.

eu1

notaguru likes this.
  6. mrhomiec

mrhomiec Well-Known Member

i have a similar backup kinda question.

i was backing up my SD card to my computer, and there are
    a bunch of folders. is there a way i can clean that up some
    how and not screw any apps up?