• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need a data limiter

I am looking for an app exactly like Data Lock/Data Lock Lite. It has all the features I'm looking for, particularly to cut off data when a daily/weekly limit is reached. The only problem is that Data Lock is not compatible with my young friend's Ellipsis qmv7a according to Google Play. All the other ones I've found only warn you when you're getting near your limit, not a hard cut.

Trouble is that he keeps blowing up his parent's shared data plan. Somehow Verizon talked them into a 5 gig data plan to share among 2 android phones and a tablet. Seems like shoddy salesmanship to me, anything to get a contract. But they are grownups and bought it, thus I digress.

I would like to find something compatible with this tablet. It is running Android 4.2.2.

I am looking for an app exactly like Data Lock/Data Lock Lite. It has all the features I'm looking for, particularly to cut off data when a daily/weekly limit is reached. The only problem is that Data Lock is not compatible with my young friend's Ellipsis qmv7a according to Google Play. All the other ones I've found only warn you when you're getting near your limit, not a hard cut.

Trouble is that he keeps blowing up his parent's shared data plan. Somehow Verizon talked them into a 5 gig data plan to share among 2 android phones and a tablet. Seems like shoddy salesmanship to me, anything to get a contract. But they are grownups and bought it, thus I digress.

I would like to find something compatible with this tablet. It is running Android 4.2.2.

check out the onavo extend app

Upvote 0
I haven't seen onavo in a while, I transferred to My Data Manager quite a while ago when Onavo was still quite limited in its features and ability to identify offending apps.

Edit: I just took a look at the Onavo data counter and Extend. I still prefer MDM.

1. Onavo count has very little in terms of options. It doesn't have customizable alerts and other small things..

2. It's not able to correctly identify my data usage in reference to which apps do which.

3. Onavo Extend may decrease used data, but it will also slow down browsing speed.
4. The only advantage I can see is that it does decrease data used through compression, but the browser apps like Chrome are already doing that. SNS are also already compressing the photos you send. So not only does it increase loading time, it also double compresses your data, lowering picture quality.

My Data Manager is a simple data counter with specified alert options (I have mine alert at 500MB and 800MB and 1GB on a daily cycle since I have a daily 1GB allowance before throttling). And it also had the feature to block data usage once limit is reached if you want that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones