1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Need a Data Roaming Manager App

Last Updated:

1. aharol

aharol New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I live in Singapore and need to travel around 6-8 times a year. Being in Singapore, all travel is international hence data roaming charges apply.

Every time I travel, I go through a laborious process to reset my wireless / sync / settings. For example:
    - Exchange mail - change to 2 hourly download, only 5 kb text, no download during off peak hours, no contacts sync etc.
    - Yahoo mail - similar
    - Facebook - only manual refresh
    - Twitter - only manual refresh
    - Google - no contacts sync
    and many others.

After I return, I set them back to the 'real-time' settings.

I am hunting for a 'Data Roaming Manager' app where I can define profiles with associated wireless / sync settings. I could define a profile that specifies the settings I described above. After I define the profile once, every time I travel, I just need to toggle the settings on/off. A key need is that this app should cover all possible wireless / sync / download settings. Anything that impacts data download/upload.

I don't have the necessary skills to create an app like this but am willing to work with someone who does. I am reasonable sure that people would be willing to pay for such an app at the right price.

Advertisement
  2. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

This is a good idea, but I'm not sure it is possible. In order to change those settings, you would need to hook into each separate application. If someone is using HTC mail app vs K9mail app vs Gmail, etc. It might be more difficult than you imagine.

I think the simplest way to do this is simply to control when Mobile Data is on/off.

You could try Juice Defender, which you can set to control when mobile data is connected and how often it connects to sync.

You could also use Tasker to setup profiles similar to Juice Defender.

3. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Search for Droid Wall, it is a firewall with rules that you can set up for each app, may be useful.

aharol likes this.
  4. aharol

I agree this may get too complex. I still hope someone can figure out a way... I am an amateur so don't know if this would work but what about something like recording a macro in excel? All that the app will do is remember all the actions I recorded and repeat them...?

5. aharol

The primary reason I ditched my iPhone (after using it for just two months) and bought an HTC Desire was that I can only switch on/off data roaming in iPhone. At least my Desire gives me the option for reducing data size. I use my phone instead of carrying a separate blackberry so I do need to access data but want to keep it down to reasonable levels when roaming.

I agree this may get too complex. I still hope someone can figure out a way... I am an amateur so don't know if this would work but what about something like recording a macro in excel? All that the app will do is remember all the actions I recorded and repeat them...?