1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Need a good task killer app

1. Pabben

Pabben Member

So in my dad's S4, after holding the middle button, it will show all of the currently running apps in the background. With just one click(clicking the bottom right option) all of the apps will be killed and the phone will be "fresh". I want an app that will be able to do that for me. :/ Because the thing is, I have an android phone, 4.1 jellybean, and it does almost the same thing as my dad's S4 but it's not as efficient. Because to kill an app that is running in the background, you have to touch and hold the app, click the option that will appear to kill it, then it will be ended. It is a hassle because you have to kill each app individually and it takes a long time to kill many apps whereas my dad's S4 can kill all the apps with one click. I want an app that will kill all apps running in the background with one click if possible.

So, any suggestions? :) Sorry in advance. Just got my phone today. I am a complete nub. My phone, btw, is from a local brand here in the Philippines(MyPhone).

Advertisement
    :
  2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

On modern smart phones you really dont have to kill tasks. In most cases it does more harm than good. Ill give you the name of a "good" one touch task killer if you want it but you should really reconsider :thumbup:
    El Presidente and Rxpert83 like this.
  3. Pabben

Pabben Member

^Ohh. I didn't know that. I thought it was better to kill apps that were running in the background because it will make the phone faster. Is this wrong?
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

It's been "wrong" since FroYo. It's a shame people keep passing this info along. While it probably won't harm your phone, it certainly won't help it.

Why You Don't Need a Task Killer.
  5. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Hi Pabben, welcome to Android Forums!

Android is based on Linux, so it operates a lot different than Windows. In Windows if something is running that shouldn't be we open up the Task Manager and kill the process. We normally don't do that in Linux.

Why You Don't Need a Task Killer

Edit: Ninjad by a lunatic /giggle
  6. funkylogik

Yeah its wrong but a very common mistake.
    The apps arent actually running, theyre just cached there so that the next time you open them, they open faster, use less power to open and open to the place where you left them. Also a task killer will kill apps that the phone is using and android will just open them again using more battery.
    Android has its own automatic task killer that is far smarter than anything we can do so just trust thet phone :thumbup:
    Rxpert83 and Crashdamage like this.
  7. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

The best task killer is NO task killer.
    PrinceCorwin, funkylogik and Rxpert83 like this.
  8. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

When I got my phone about 15-months ago the third or fourth app I downloaded was a task killer from the Play Store. Now, thanks to tech press and people here, I know better and don't use one - ever.
    Rxpert83, PrinceCorwin and funkylogik like this.
  9. Pabben

Pabben Member

All right. Thanks guys! :)
    lunatic59, funkylogik and Rxpert83 like this.
  10. Ssith

Ssith Well-Known Member

not to go against the grain or anything, but a task manager app does have benefits. sometimes apps will misbehave, and your only option is to force close them. a good task manager simply makes this easier than going into settings -> apps -> running -> force stop. they also usually come with things like cache cleaners and SD movers.

auto-kill ones are bad.
    funkylogik likes this.
  11. funkylogik

^ thats true man. I have Advanced Task Killer's one-touch widget on one of my screens. mostly for before i run a benchmark though :thumbup:
  12. gtbarry

True that.

I use Watchdog (free version from Play Store) to check on things when my phone starts to act up. Mostly to see what is using CPU. But it also has an app kill feature that you can use manually. But since I uninstalled facebook's app, I have not had the need to. hhhmmmmmm
    funkylogik likes this.
  13. funkylogik

i tried watchdog for a few days then uninstalled it because of battery or cpu use or wakelocks, cant remember which lol. Its an app id install maybe every month for a day to check things out :thumbup:
  14. gtbarry

funkylogik likes this.
  15. gtbarry

glitch
  16. funkylogik

Is that the one people use on pcs brer?
  17. gtbarry

funkylogik likes this.
  18. Petrah

This is different than merely killing an app that should be running. Take Watchdog for example. This lets you know about apps that are using more resources than they should, which allows the user to contact the misbehaving app developer so that it can be repaired/tweaked. Much much different than randomly killing apps. ;)
    funkylogik likes this.
  19. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

And in second place is Fast Reboot...

Simulates a reboot by closing/restarting all core and user processes and thus frees up memory. Your phone should be much snappier after using Fast Reboot.

That just means that although I agree with Crash, I can
  20. Petrah

I don't know what it is about AOKP, but I had a ton of wakelocks from random apps when I was running it (clean flash between updates too). Give another rom a try and see if you still have all of the wakelock problems.
    funkylogik likes this.
  21. funkylogik

Thanx pal. Yeah i think im ready to try something new anyway, AOKP is startin to get a bit funky on me :beer:
  22. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

23. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Task killer threads remind me of the Rolling Stone ad campaign of the '80s, "Perception vs. Reality."

Perception: All devices with an operating system work like Windows.

Reality: No, no they don't!