Need a little help with petes latest rom

Last Updated:

1. longdaddy

longdaddy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Im currently running petes bugless beast 1.2 and i wanna move to his newest ESE53 since i heard it was pretty good plus pete saying there is no reason to be using the 2.0.1 now and he is gonna focus on the new one i have never used nandroid for a rom just the update.zip could someone walk me thru this and it says to backup data before doing this what do i need to back up and how? also does wifi tether and overclocking still work with this help a noob out! i would appreciate it

Advertisement
  2. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

to backup your data you can do 3 things

1) wipe data after the installing the rom which will lead you to type in your google info on startup and will auto sync your apps and what not

2) use the app titanium backup to back up all your data

3) copy your /data/apps/ file to your sd card and then copy it back once you install the rom

to install a via nandroid you first have to dl the nandroid file from petes website. then put that file (extract it first) into a folder labeled "nandroid" on your sd card. make sure that inside the nandroid folder are a few folders and not another folder with the name "BDS-xxxx". once you have the rom in the nandroid folder restart you phone and boot into recovery. in recovery go into backup/restore and click simple backup to backup your current rom. once that rom is backed up go back out and wipe data and cache. then go to backup/restore and then advanced restore and choose the petes rom. then hit restore (dont change any of the options). once its finished restart (unless backing up your apps by way #1 which you would then wipe data AGAIN).

hope this helps and also you have to dl an update.zip file from chevy to get wifi and oc options. install that like any update.zip

longdaddy likes this.
  3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

You use the SPRecovery to do it all.

• Reboot into recovery
    • --> backup/restore
    • --> Advanced Nandroid backup
    • --> name your backup (Using the physical keyboard - It will append some parts to the name)
    • check (star) all items
    • perform backup
    • back up to main menu
    • wipe data
    • wipe cache
    • --> backup/restore
    • --> Advanced Nandroid restore
    • Select the new Backup (it will have the same name as the folder that you made)
    • perform restore

5 things to note:

1) The folder that you create in /Nandroid on your SDCard cannot contain any spaces in the name, else your restore will fail, and after wiping this will be a problem - hence the steps to make the backup first.

2) After you do this your will have to start fresh, logging in to your GMail account, installing all your apps, and such. If you want to make it easier on yourself, Before your start go to the market and download and install Titanium Backup and make a full backup of your apps and settings.

3) An alternate to backup just your apps (not settings) see my post at http://androidforums.com/all-things...-back-your-apps-your-computer.html#post410524 - but beware that this requires you to already have the Android SDK downloaded, and may be a bit too advanced, especially since you still have to re-setup everything manually.

4) If you attempt to skip any steps the consequences may be dire. The backup that you make first is crucial in case you mess something up - at least this way you'll have a working backup that you can restore so as to not lose access to using your phone in the interim until you figure out what is going on.

5) When you go to restore the Nandroid backup of the ROM you wish to install, I purposefully did not tell you to check everything - and that means YOU DO NOT DO SO.

longdaddy likes this.
  4. longdaddy

Thanks for helping me guys! i think i can do this now haha

5. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

I actually have the opposite question. I'm already running Pete's ESE53 v.05 How do I do an update.zip update to Pete's ESE53 v0.6?

6. longdaddy

Downloaded Titanium Backup got error "Sorry, I could not acquire root privileges. This application will *not* work ! Please verify that your ROM is rooted and includes Busybox, and try again."...... im pretty sure its rooted lol i use other root only apps without a problem

7. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

What other root apps are you using? Do you have busybox?

• Pretty easy. Download the file he has listed as the update version of 0.6 to your computer.
    • Connect your phone to your computer using the USB cable.
    • Mount the SDCard.
    • Rename the file you just downloaded to update.zip - make sure that your windows explorer is showing extensions, so you see all the parts of files after periods in all the files - if not, just rename to update.
    • Copy it over to the SDCard in the root folder in other words, when you mount your SDCard, it will usually have a drive letter associated with it in Windows - copy the update.zip to that driver letter, not to any folder on that driver letter.
    • Reboot into recovery
    • -> Install
    • -> Allow update.zip (move to it then press the camera button to select it - nothing happens)
    • -> install update.zip (deprecated)

slick_old likes this.
  8. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

Hit the Problems? button at the bottom. It will attempt to download and install busybox, along with whatever else it needs to function.

9. longdaddy

That works.. but now its kinda confusing me on what i need to do exacly

10. Shadowtech

Go to the backup tab, hit the menu button and select Batch. Then you'll see the different backup scenarios it will do. I generally do apps+data since I don't care about my system stuff. It will however backup apps/data/system just as well.

11. longdaddy

After i do this and go on to wipe data and stuff i will have to go back to the market re download this app and hit restore?

12. Shadowtech

Yea, it backs everything up into a folder on your sdcard which it then looks for after you reinstall it. It works great for my apps, however I have not used it to redo any system stuff. Once you restore with it though, some of your apps most likely won't show updates on the market as they weren't installed from there.

What I mainly do though, for apps I know I'll restore right away, is just download them again from market. Sometimes you'll get lucky and it'll have a list of your free apps still, sometimes it won't. But anyway, after I reinstall from market I use Titanium to restore just the data and haven't had any problems yet.

13. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

am I the only one who thinks wiping data after a nandroid restore is the easiest way to get all your apps redownloaded??