Need a little help...

Last Updated:

1. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I rooted a friend's Evo. He's running his Evo on 2.2 and is getting notices to update his OS. The only thing he wants to be able to do is run Wifi tether - he's not really interested in running ROM's. Because I don't have an Evo, I don't keep up with what's going on over here (I have a Droid X, rooted). Anyway, I need some advice on whether or not he can accept the update from Sprint. And if he does, will he lose root? Or do I need to unroot his phone, then accept the update, then re-root. He's not too excited about me having to factory reset his phone if I unroot.

I rooted the phone using unrevoked3.

On another note - he's never been able to get Wireless Tether to work. The network shows up once he activates tethering, but it never gains an IP address. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. ExSaint

ExSaint Well-Known Member

First question is what rom is he using? Second I usualy dont accept any updates, most roms include all needed updates. I don't update because i dont want to screw up my device. did you give root access to wireless tether app? Make sure you using the Root only app from the market.

3. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

He's using no ROM. I rooted using unrevoked3, installed no ROM. Only root app he's using is Wireless Tether. He did give it superuser permissions. The app runs, shows up as an available wireless network on my phone and computer, but never locates an IP address.

If a ROM is necessary to maintain root, can anyone recommend a ROM for someone who only wanted root access in order to get wifi tether? He is using LauncherPro (paid) and wants stability more than options.

4. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Well-Known Member

I just answered something fairly similar here:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/215755-cant-upgrade-android-after-rooting.html

I would recommend flashing the stock ROM that I mention in that post. That will update his/her phone with the Sprint updates but keep everything stock. Since you are familiar with rooting, I will just briefly mention that I recommend using Titanium Backup to backup apps/data, do a nand backup, and then flash that ROM.

And your friend does have a ROM on his/her phone, just not a custom ROM.

If your friend wants wireless tethering to work, I would recommend that he/she tries installing a different version of the wireless tether app. The one included in the market does not work for a lot of people. To get the other versions go here:

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

Delete the current version on the phone and then start with the most recent released and try it. If that doesn't work, then delete it and download the next to most recent etc. until you find one that works. Most people seem to say that pre11 works well.

Hope that helps.

5. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

I just had the exact same scenario as your friend. I rooted via unrevoked 3 last night, and only wanted wireless tether without having to deal with using a different ROM, kernel, etc. Root was successful, and i downloaded the wireless tether app for root users from the market, and was unable to get a client assigned an IP address this morning though the network was visible. I then installed the wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre9.apk from the link above and have been smooth surfing since. It's even working correctly on this Ubuntu laptop, and i had an iPhone friend connect to it this am as well. My EVO's running the stock ROM and kernel, i just rooted and froze bloatware (Sprint Zone, TV, Football, etc) with Titanium backup.

I also installed/configured SetCPU for underclocking when able to save on battery life, but downloaded KeepScreen from the market to keep the screen up when tethered. That way the SetCPU "screen off" profile doesn't drop my processor ability mid connection on wireless tether.

6. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

You coil also install Myns. Latest Rom and it inclidesall updatesand unlocks the native wireless tetherapp.... just another option.