• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need a Microsoft Outlook type of APP on my LG Optimus

Darkiedroid

Jan 30, 2015
Hi there,

I just registered to this forum, and am glad to be a part of it and learn about the world of Android!

Well, I had a iPaq PDA that synced nicely with Outlook. So I would like a really good calendar app with a task list that can effortlessly sync with Microsoft Outlook? Any suggestions?

The default calendar on LG is sucky!

Thanks!

The Syncdroid.net website lists and reviews the various Outlook-Android sync solutions. Gsyncit is popular and good for syncing, but it relies on the phone's native apps. If you don't want to use LG's calendar, then I'd suggest CompanionLink or Office365.

Thanks for the reply Razz!

This LG is actually my first smartphone! I have never downloaded an app in my life so I would need your guidance.

So I should download Office365 app? first? then Gsyncit to sync with my Outlook program? (I have an old computer I am using OUtlook 2003 to save RAM lol ) .

Please help , thank you and have a great night!

Darkie.

Upvote 0
The Syncdroid.net website lists and reviews the various Outlook-Android sync solutions. Gsyncit is popular and good for syncing, but it relies on the phone's native apps. If you don't want to use LG's calendar, then I'd suggest CompanionLink or Office365.

I actually found out you have to pay for Office365. I was wondering if there is a free app that has both a calendar and a tasklist ?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Check out "Team Calendar Sync"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teamsite.android.calendar.generated

Best solution possible for Exchange ActiveSync calendars, basically the missing piece of Android.

Not a calendar app - it extends your account settings and works with your favorite calendar, like a champ.

Not free but well worth the asking price and if you have trouble, the dev will work with you.

I use Business Calendar, fwiw.

Upvote 0
Darkiedroid's sync requirements seem to include tasks, calendar, and not-LG's-calendar. I'm also guessing that Darkiedroid is not syncing through a corporate Microsoft Exchange Server, therefore Earlymon's suggestion for "Team Calendar Sync" will not work. (DarkieDroid: If you're operating in a corporate Microsoft Exchange Server environment, then I'd suggest asking your company's IT-people what kind of syncing they support & recommend.)

The Syncdroid website shows the features and cost for each 3rd-party solution. You can see that for an LG phone, the intersection of "Calendar", "Tasks", & "Free" doesn't exist-- except possibly for MyPhoneExplorer. However, since MyPhoneExplorer doesn't provide a "Tasks" app (as far as I know), I'm not sure how it could sync tasks, unless maybe you download a separate "tasks" app. (Perhaps dvhttn can explain.) It may be worth noting that MyPhoneExplorer can only sync when the phone is in close proximity to a PC (on the same WiFi router, or by USB, or Bluetooth) It won't sync via 3G/4G (the "Wireless" column of Syncdroid). But that may only be important if, for example, your secretary makes a change to your calendar on your Outlook PC while you're on the road, away from your PC. It may also be worth noting that MyPhoneExplorer only syncs with one Outlook-PC. If you have multiple PCs running Outlook, the PCs and phone won't all stay synced. Maybe not a problem.

If I have correctly listed Darkiedroid's requirements, then I think the best solution is Companionlink ($14.95). It has its own apps for Calendar, Tasks, etc. I haven't tried it but it has been around a long time, and has long been highly rated. Darkiedroid: You'd have to go to CompanionLink's website and follow their instructions for downloading and installing an app. http://www.companionlink.com/

FYI: I don't care about syncing my Outlook "Tasks" to my phone. (I use the free My Groceries app to keep my shopping lists and my "To Do" lists synced between my PCs and my phone, and my wife's phone.) So I only care about syncing Calendar, Contacts, and email with Outlook. (And I use the native Calendar, Contacts, and email apps on my LG Optimus S.) So I use Android's built-in functionality and I added a free Microsoft account (e.g. Hotmail.com, Outlook.com, Live.com, or MSN.com) to Outlook on my PCs. I use Gmail for email (which automatically syncs to Outlook through Gmail's servers). And I use Hotmail for my calendar & contacts (which automatically syncs with Outlook through Hotmail's servers). This has the added benefit of automatically syncing multiple PCs (my desktop & laptop PCs) and Android devices (my phone and tablet). But it does not sync Tasks. More information on the Hotmail solution here.
http://androidforums.com/threads/we...ut-a-3rd-party-app-or-exchange-server.337012/

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

The Syncdroid website shows the features and cost for each 3rd-party solution. You can see that for an LG phone, the intersection of "Calendar", "Tasks", & "Free" doesn't exist-- except possibly for MyPhoneExplorer. However, since MyPhoneExplorer doesn't provide a "Tasks" app (as far as I know), I'm not sure how it could sync tasks, unless maybe you download a separate "tasks" app. (Perhaps dvhttn can explain.) ...

It does provide a 'Tasks' app - never use it myself though. You are right in that you need to be on the same wifi network as the PC to sync (or cable or BT as you say). Not a problem for me and the OP didn't say whether it was business or personal use.

DHTH

Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones