1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Need a New Phone

1. NameBran

NameBran New Member

I was looking to buy a Motorola Atrix from At&t or A Droid Charge from Verizon, but I wanted to know if it was possible to unlock the sim on either one of these and use them with At&t's gophone plan. Anyone know if this is possible?

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Welcome to Android Forums.

It is not possible with the Droid Charge. That is a CDMA phone and AT&T is a GSM network. The Atrix will work without unlocking since you are keeping it on the same network. While I have no direct experience, I have heard that the gophone sims do work in most AT&T ssmartphones.
    NameBran likes this.
  3. NameBran

NameBran New Member

So are you saying that if I buy a atrix I can just put a gophone sim card in the phone and it will work? Theres no special process that needs to be done?
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I'm a little fuzzy on the data plan that goes with the gophone sim. However if it works in any other smartphone, it will work in the atrix. Do you know anybody with an AT&T smartphone you could try it in?
  5. NameBran

NameBran New Member

I unlocked the sim on the blackberry storm from verizon and that was my recent phone until I lost it. I called at&t and they weren't very clear but from my understanding they were saying as long as its at&t or is unlocked and uses sim I can use it. But they didnt seem sure.