• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need a ROM/kernel recommendation for better battery life

egernant

Jun 30, 2010
I have looked on other threads but have been unable to find exactly the best solution for me. I am currently using SkyRaider Sense 3.5 running launcher pro, widget locker and beautiful widgets to make it look just like I like it. The only reason I even have sense is the black notification bar and the facebook sync in contacts. I imagine all of the other sense programs are just wasting space and battery. I love the setup of this configuration but battery has been sub par. Here is what I'm looking for in a new configuration.

Black notification bar with sense icons
Power controls in notification menu, including at least wifi, 3g, sync, brightness controls, gps
Blue circle battery
Facebook sync for contacts
Will be running launcher pro, widget locker and beautiful widgets so I dont need other similar interfaces
Above average battery

What kernel and rom do you recommend?

I'll be honest with you, I'm a stock kind of guy. So, I chose Virtuous 3.2. I'm using the v3 kernel it comes with, which has few tweaks other than unlocking governors, it's pretty much stock.

From there, it's just settings. Mobile always-on data is turned off (very few apps are affected by this). Wifi is always on when at home, since data sent/received over wifi uses less battery than 3G. I use SetCPU profiles with a screen off, a temp profile, a charging profile, and 3 levels of <battery life profiles (full speed until 40%).

On a typical day of light calling/texting/browsing, I end up with 75-80% battery remaining on my 1300/1500 HTC batteries when I get home from work. From there, I just play video games if I have the time. On a heavy day, I might get to that 40% number and my CPU starts to throttle down for me.

For me, I'm just not trusting of those battery saving kernels. They either come with a screen-off profile built-in (you can do more with SetCPU), or they undervolt, something I'm not interested in doing. Using wifi at home as opposed to 3G, and having 3G set to on demand have been the biggest battery savers I've ever seen on this phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones