• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need a tablet?

ucliker

Lurker
Nov 8, 2014
Well I need a tablet and I prefer it to be android and on at&t. I will be using it for school since all of my textbooks are digital now. The issues I am running into is most of the new tablets have lots of issues Galaxy tab s 10.5 and Note pro 12.2 over heat, crash, blue screen of death. I was thinking of the nexus 9 but for the price it's a not really worth it, plus it has a 4:3 screen. So could someone chime in with there opinion regarding this since I'm lost. I really don't want to be forced to get an ipad.

thanks in advance

Well apparently the issues lie with new at&t branded galaxy tab S and Note Pro 12.2. I've even spoken with At&t and they admit that they have been dealing with issues with those devices. So your saying ipad basically. Also it seems you own a few android tablets nickdalzell, are there a lot of tablet optimized apps in the play store? I currently own the Note 3 and absolutely love it. I've been back and forth with apple and android for years and I like android because I can do anything with it. It does get frustrating from time to time though.

Upvote 0
Blue screen of death? Really? That's a Windows thing, not an Android thing.

Does the tablet need to be on AT&T? I mean you can get a WiFi only tablet with no carrier branding and bloatware, and no carrier specific issues to deal with. Carriers tinker with the firmware of their devices which have caused several similar issues over the past years.

Upvote 0
Yeah as far as I know the blue screen only happens on the galaxy note pro 12.2 at&t. I spoke with at&t and they confirmed the issue. prefer an Lte Tablet but if not I'll live with just wifi. I was thinking of the Tab S 10.5 but that over heats easily and the battery life isn't good.

Upvote 0
I heard of a BSOD on iPhone 5S but never in Android. If Android has a fatal crash you see a dead android with red or yellow triangle graphic, depending on how severe it is.

The BSOD in the iPhone isnt a true BSOD, but a kernel panic image without any text or graphics. Just a literal blue screen. The iPhone reboots itself shortly after.

Android also just reboots itself in a fatal crash, out of memory condition or panic.

Reactions: ucliker
Upvote 0
The tablets don't really overheat. That's just a product of having a small space and powerful chipsets. The entire back of the tablet serves as the heatsink. There are similar issues for any powerful tablet in a smallish form factor. I still remember when iOS detractors pointed that issue on the first iPad Air.

Anyway, the Tab S uses an AMOLED screen, which probably adds to the heating if you're running bright colors. You can check out the Tab Pro series. It's cheaper, uses an LCD screen, and has very good specs.

Upvote 0
My tab s doesn't get hot but this sucker is quick with download. I do smell burning when charging from 5% and only the red 5% or lower . Samsung told me to watch out it can get hot . in some kidzone items
I think this tab s is worth the money I can mirror my s5 and TV to tell the kids get in the bed :eek::D very nice product a+ in my book

Upvote 0
I'm afraid the bigger the tablet the hotter it gets and the quicker the battery will die. Also, you need to consider the weight a lot of people are beginning to suffer with painful shoulders and wrists from holding heavy tablets. If your young with good eyesight I'd go for a 7" best of all worlds. I've been repairing some Nexus 7 units here in the UK (checkout out my fixed1t youtube tutorials) and they seem really stable and quite sturdy, even the older 2012 units (cheap on eBay) are still up to the task even when upgraded to KitKat 4.4.4 Bigger isn't necessarily better ;-)

Upvote 0
I'm not so worried about price. I was considering the Nexus 9 but for the price and since it's 4:3 aspect ratio I could just buy an ipad. Idk what to get but I really don't want a small tablet for reading, I have a Galaxy Note 3 and it's hard to read a lot on it. The Nexus 7 is great for someone who really needs a budget tablet thats really mobile. I don't tend to take it out of the house that often except maybe for class on occasion. I've also heard that theres isnt that many tablet optimized apps for android, can anyone confirm this?

Upvote 0
You notice on 10 inch and larger that apps aren't tablet optimized the same way they are on iPad. Usually a phone app gets blown up and distorts or looks fuzzy. The Nexus 10 sees this a lot. It remains one of few shortcomings with Android app development, although Play Store today does specify whether the app is designed for phones or for tablets, or both.

Being objective, I have to state that yes, Apple has more tablet optimized (10 inches plus) apps available, and they also have better more reliable versions of certain popular apps (Android still has an inferior Facebook app, and games such as Real Racing 3 look better on the iPad, and seem to run in without anti-aliasing on Android tablets)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones