1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Need Advice - About to Buy a Galaxy Tab for WiFi Only and want to make sure I do this right

1. olandir

olandir Member

After weeks of searching, I have finally found the right device for my mother for her birthday. She's been itching for a new PDA and a book reader and I was going to get her an IPOD touch and a Nook, until I found the Galaxy Tab and realized this is exactly what's she's looking for. She was toying with getting an Ipad but it's too bulky, the Galaxy Tab is the perfect size.

My mother niether wants nor needs a data plan. Wi-fi only is more than enough for her needs.

Since her birthday is the end of April, I'm not sure I can take the chance that they'll finally release the "official" wi-fi only version here in the USA by the time I need it.

I've been looking on Ebay and Amazon and seeing various versions of the Tab (for each carrier) and an "Unlocked" version as well.

I would like to buy a tab, and have it configure for Wi-Fi Only easily so that it doesn't produce any errors at any point. (In other words, I don't want it nagging her every 10 minutes that she doesn't have a SIM card or features not working because of it.)

So I have two questions:

1) Which version of the tab should I buy to make this as easy as possible (price is not affected by this decision)

2) When I activated my Droid Incredible it actually asked me after the select language screen whether it was wi-fi only or wi-fi and 3G (or something like that). However after looking through these forums it seems that the Tab may not offer any choice?

I did however find this from searching the forums. How To : Bypass activation on Samsung Galaxy Tab - The Galaxy Tab which gives instructions on how to activate the Tab for Wi-Fi only and it seems to be generally accepted as working. I just want to make sure that I won't be getting something that she can't use.

So if there is any additional information I need to know so I can purchase and configure a Tab correctly, I'd like to know it now before I do anything.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Sonic77

Sonic77 Active Member

Personally I'd recommend an iPad and a kindle.
  3. olandir

olandir Member

That wasn't really helpful... at all.

I've already ruled out both of those devices, as I said, I did a lot of research on what would work best for my mom, specifically the Ipad is too large for her needs and too weighty for her to hold... I know the device I want, so can anyone here help me with my questions.
  4. Sonic77

Sonic77 Active Member

To answer your question the I know Bell Galaxy Tab works out of the box with wifi.
  5. olandir

olandir Member

Okay thanks...

So is there anyone that can actually answer my question about the Samsung Galaxy Tab?

I don't need or want a Bell Tab (don't know what that is). Don't need advice on an iPad or anything else.

I'd just really like an answer to my questions if someone knows.
  6. AmneonX

AmneonX Well-Known Member

I got the Sprint version of the Galaxy Tab, and I use it as wifi only. Contrary to Sonic, I like the User Interface for Android, and really don't like the one on the Ipad.

1) I believe all the Tabs except the Sprint version can be bypassed by using the volume rocker. However if you have ever rooted a device, the sprint tab isn't terrible. My vote goes to the T mobile version. It has 16gb of internal memory plus a 16gb sd card I believe. Otherwise I would say Sprint. I have a tutorial in the all things root folder for bypassing activation on the sprint tab.

2) I didn't get the option of wifi only. However I did keep it in airplane mode for a while. Than I rooted it and bypassed the activation.
  7. olandir

olandir Member

Thanks for the insight. I may try to see if I can get a T-mobile version from an eBay store. Or I may get a Verizon version if the local best buy will sell it out right. I've rooted my Droid Incredible so I'm not skirmish about that. I'll do a little more research and try to find a good price too.

If anyone else has any experience or insight let me know. It'll be a week or two before o buy most likely.
  8. AmneonX

AmneonX Well-Known Member

If you get the Verizon or the Sprint versions, there is someone at XDA-developers forums that is working on getting a fully fuctional Honeycomb port made for the Galaxy Tab. It probably a ways out for fully functional, but they did release an alpha version.
  9. slbailey1

slbailey1 Well-Known Member

10. olandir

olandir Member

DARN!!! I just ordered one.... DARN!!!!
  11. iAstonish

iAstonish Well-Known Member

Return it lol
  12. morts52

morts52 New Member

I bought my Galaxy tab unlocked, I run it on wi-fi only 95% of the time with no problems.