• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need Advice on a New Phone

Amy5000

Lurker
Feb 25, 2010
Hi all. I need some help picking my new Verizon phone, and it seems like the people here really know phones....so here goes.

For almost 2 years I've been using an HTC Eris Droid, which lags badly. The battery life is pretty sad also. I chose the HTC Eris over the Motorola Droid b/c when I checked them out at the store (i) the motorola droid was badly lagging, and (ii) it didn't have the pinch-and-squeeze interface for web browsing.

I'm due for a new phone and went into the Verzion store, the sales person steered me to the Motorola Bionic and knew nothing about HTC phones. I was ready to get the bionic but my husband balked at the $249 price. (and pushed me towards the iphone). I was tempted to get the Bionic b/c I've been stuck with this slow-laggy phone for almost 2 yrs so the thought of getting the "fastest" new phone appealed to me, but maybe a less expensive phone would do the trick.

I use my phone a fair amount for a work-from-home mom. I check emails from it but rarely send emails b/c I suck at typing on a phone. (I know it sounds lame). I surf the web and often read articles on the phone. I use the calendar and agenda. I actually use it to make phone calls (how retro--).

Do I need to go for the bionic? Would I be happy with a less expensive phone that would be head and shoulders over the HTC Eris. Suggestions welcome.

You should note that I've read directions for "rooting" the Eris and decided it was above my skill set. (Even the ones that were written for idiots). So I'd be hesitant to get a phone that needed technical type maintenance.

Thanks in advance, Amy

First question you need to ask yourself: Do I want 4G LTE?

If yes: You're going to pay $250 or more for the phone + contract. Unless VZW suddenly started selling the LTE enabled phones for less now, but I'm fairly certain they are all $250-$300. And the iPhone is completely out of the picture. Your choices are limited, as well. The Bionic, Thunderbolt, Charge, and probably a few others (the new RAZR is due out and is LTE enabled).

If no: Then you have a few options. Now ask yourself, do I want an iPhone?

The iPhone is probably the best bang for the buck out there, ATM. But there are Android options, too, if you want to stay in the family. The Droid X2 is a dual-core phone, not as powerful as the Bionic, but makes your Eris look like it is ancient. There's the Droid 3 if you want a physical slide-out QWERTY keyboard and has similar specs to the Droid X2. From the HTC family, there's the Droid Incredible 2. Verizon is also supposed to get a Samsung Galaxy S2 variant of some sort (and at some point) but I'm not sure when it comes out.

If, for some ungodly reason, I had to go back to VZW, I'd probably hold out for the RAZR. But if I had to go the cheap route, I'd consider the Droid 3 if I liked the keyboard. If not, then my choice would be the DX2.

Upvote 0
First question you need to ask yourself: Do I want 4G LTE?

This questions is kind of difficult b/c I really don't know what 4G means for me other than faster speeds. I think the problem I've been having with my phone lagging are internal (it takes forever to respond to a command - like I'll make a call and it won't happen for another minute) and not really that my speeds for surfing the web are so slow. (They aren't so fast either, but it's something I can certainly live with).

I don't think I can use an iphone b/c I use google calendar and it doesn't seem to work well with an iPad so I'm assuming it wouldn't be any better on a iphone. I guess I could move to an iphone version of calendar and contacts...but I'm not that into the idea. I also don't like that the iphone doesn't have widgets but I guess i could live with it.

Also, when I surf the web on an iphone it's just as seemless. (I love the way my phone adjustes the text of what I'm reading to fit the screen if I've enlarged the text). I don't think the iphone has that.

I just looked at Verizon at it seems like the Droid X2 is more in my price range ($99), and a physical keyboard isn't important. So I'm clearly guessing its an older phone. Am I going to be buying a phone that they will stop supporting the day after I buy it? (It feels like that happened with the Eris).

Comparing that to an HTC or Samsung, is there any reason, other than price, not to go with the DroidX2. Thanks, Amy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones