1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice on picking a Navigation Programs.... please help!

Last Updated:

1. projectseahorse

projectseahorse New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello All,

I'm very new to Android software, until recently, I have been using a Nokia N82, which is a Sybian based phone. I had Garmin Mobile XT installed on my N82, which is a stand alone turn by turn navigation program that does not require phone internet connection.

I was wondering if someone can recommend me any good navigation programs that does not require internet connection to have turn by turn direction for my Andorid because my plan does not have a data plan. I can connect my phone to the internet using my house's wireless, but I do not have constant internet connection everywhere I go. Any recommendations and advices are welcome and greatly appreciated! Thank you guys very much!

PS: The current phone that runs the Android is Sony Ericsson's Xpera X10

Advertisement
  2. projectseahorse

projectseahorse New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm currently looking at Navigon MobileNavigator and was wondering if anybody had any experience with the program, and how well it works without internet connection. But I also welcome other navigation programs that you think might be better, or work better offline. My main concern is the quality of the application working offline. Thanks again!

3. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

I used CoPilot and Navigon and both work seamlessly without any data connectivity, but I think CoPilot is a better application.

4. jev

jev Well-Known Member

Navigon is pretty good yet very basic. I've used it throughout Europe for a couple of months and it never failed me. Sygic mobile maps may be another option worth looking at. It's slower than navigon but it provides more features. In the end it boils down to personal preference I guess.

5. silberj

silberj Member

I would also recommend the Google Navigation. Free, and works great.

6. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member

Someone didn't read the first post. He needs navigation that works without phone data. Google Navigation is far from ideal in that situation, as it can't handle missed turns/changed routes during the trip.

7. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

Its not available for all Devices yet, but when it is, HTC Locations is not a good option.

Was using it yesterday, but after not being able to search by Postcode for my destination, then the stupid route it forced me to travel down, I switched over to Google Navigation and was shocked at myself for ever doubting it. It just has so many options and features.

Get a Data tariff and use Google navigation. Its worth it

8. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Again, not germane. Many people travel internationally and international data roaming charges add up very quickly. Additionally, there are those who are frequently in areas of no coverage.

Worth is always highly subjective.