Need advice on Uninstalling Apps

Last Updated:

1. dizzy

dizzy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm new to Android and just got a Hero a couple weeks ago so I'm searching all the forums (and other Android sites) for useful tips. So far, I'm impressed with the Android OS, the Hero and even like HTC's Sense UI.

There are some apps included with the phone that I don't want/need (ex: Sprint TV, Nascar, HTC Widgets, etc.) I'd like to uninstall them but based on what I've read in some posts some apps can't or shouldn't be uninstalled ... is that correct? If so, which apps?

Do I need an uninstaller or does "managing applications" work just as well?

I've seen many posts advising the best way to get clean-up your phone (get rid of the bundled bloat, etc.) is to "root" your phone but doesn't that process erase/over-write the HTC-customized version with the "plain vanilla" Android OS? If I root my Hero, won't I lose access to the Sense UI components that I wanted to keep?

Advertisement
  2. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

No, rooting does not put plain Vanilla on your phone. Doing that would require a ROM. You can in fact, simply root your phone (use the guide in the root section) and then remove sprint bloatware (also explained in that guide). You don't have to install a custom ROM, but you can. Each ROM is different, some use sense, others do not. Make sure you do your research before flashing anything :).

3. dizzy

dizzy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Reading between the lines of your response leads me to believe that I CAN'T uninstall those Sprint and HTC apps UNLESS I've rooted my phone ... is that correct?

4. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

Yes you are correct

5. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

Correct