Need advice--which direction to go??

Last Updated:

1. talman

talman New Member

Hi All--

New here and stumbled across this great forum while doing some research. I'm hoping I can get some advice from others far more knowledgable than myself about cellphones etc.

I'm in the following situation---I'm going to be leaving my current employer which has always provided me with a cellphone. My new employer is quite possibly changing their policy and going to provide certain staff like myself with corporate cellphones. So you can see my issue--really don't want to get locked into a contract but need something in case the policy doesn't change.

So i'm looking at prepaid and the plan that fits me and my usage (HEAVY text and data usage--mostly via WiFi in office/home) is TMobile's 30.00 plan.

I've been an iPhone user for a long time and have alot invested in apps etc but find I only really use the ones that are available everywhere (google maps, twitter, facebook etc.)

I have an old iPhone 4S that took a fall and the housing broke (screen works) and my company replaced with a 5. I could get the 4s fixed for about a 100.00 locally. It was on the Sprint network so this is where things get confusing for me. I don't think I can use it on others networks can I?

I've looked at the Nexus 4 as my searching seemed to point to it being the current king of the hill. Add in that I can use it on TMobile's month to month plan and it looks like the right choice. But then I saw the galaxy s3 and many others.

What would you do if you were in my situation? I use my phone strictly for texting, gps, data, browsing, calendar and numerous email accounts.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice--it's much appreciated!

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

My vote is go Nexus 4 but there's plenty of good choices. I prefer plain vanilla Android and the fast OS updates the Nexus offers.

Your Sprint iPhone is Sprint-only.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0
  3. cxs6957

cxs6957 Well-Known Member

If you love data freedom go with Sprint or T-Mobile. They are the only ones who don't throttle data and charge overages. Personally I use a minimum of 7GB of data over 4G/3G per month. That's not including the easy additional 12-20 GB used over wifi, so really for me those two companies are the only viable options. And T-Mobile has fantastic customer service.
  4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Nexus devices are great, plus that T-Mobile plan is awesome, a lot of people do it and it's pretty good. Just know that they do throttle the data past 5GB.

If you go over the 100minutes for that plan you could potentially try using Google Voice or some VOIP applications to use Data for talking.
  5. talman

talman New Member

Thanks for the advice all!! I think I'm going to take the leap and order the Nexus 4 16gb and hope it gets here faster than 1-2 weeks.