Need an 10.1 Note App that Allows Handwritten PDF Sticky Notes to be exported to a Word or Text File

Last Updated:

1. rocdo3427

rocdo3427 New Member

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 in the hope that it would greatly simplify my work with reading PDFs and taking notes, but I've been stymied so far in my endeavors.

My main goal is to take a PDF, use the stylus to highlight various sections and passages, attached various handwritten sticky notes to the PDF in relation to those notes and THEN convert/export those handwritten notes into one typed Word or Txt Master document for further use in the writing of reports on a desktop. This seems like a fairly logical request as it simulates what a lot of students do with their textbooks to take notes, absorb books for classes., and write reports and research papers.

So far I've tried the qPDF notes app, and while it does an excellent job translating handwritten notes to text, it will not export that text into a separate Word or Text file. When I contacted Qoppa to ask if it could be done, they told me that no one had ever requested that function and acted as if I were crazy to want such a function.

I've also tried to keep a PDF open on one half of the screen and then use S Note in the other half to take notes, and while S Note also does an excellent job translating handwriting into text, it also does not transfer that text into other files, at least not that I have discovered so far.

Can anyone please tell me how I can accomplish my main goal of taking handwritten sticky notes that I've attached to a PDF, translating them into text, and then exporting those texts/notes into one master Word document or text file? This was my primarily reason for purchasing the Note 10.1 and I really need to accomplish this task for my work. Most everyone I talked to before I purchased the tablet assured me that there would be some way to accomplish this task, but so far, I've run up against a brick wall.

Any suggestions or help with this matter would be GREATLY appreciated.

Many Thanks!

2. jonbanjo

jonbanjo Well-Known Member

I can't help you with an app but a couple of thoughts.

Does the exporting have to be done on the tablet? You might find a wider range of options if you could do that part on the desktop.

Do you have to use pdf? It consists of typeset pages and I'm under the impression that it not the easiest of formats to export from. Here is what the author of the ebook converter, Calibre, has to say about it.
    rocdo3427 likes this.
  3. rocdo3427

rocdo3427 New Member

That's an interesting idea, but I think it would make things a little bit more cumbersome. Any suggestions on what program to use to export via the desktop from handwritten sticky notes into text?

Yes I need to work with PDFs. I've got over 700 academic articles in PDF form and that's the easiest way for me to work with them. I have thought that I could just print the notes in a PDF form and then transfer that to the desktop and cut and paste as needed into a Word document as PDFs seem to cut and paste very easily in that manner. However, I can't even find a way to print the sticky notes into a PDF on the tablet so far. I'm stuck right now in the conversion of the sticky notes in serial order to type that can be printed out in either text or a PDF.

Thanks for the info on the Calibre, that's another issue I'll have to deal with eventually as I've been using Kindle books for a long time and they just don't convert well into a PDF form in a one-to-one real page numbers format. The inability to view ebooks in the same "real page" numbers as real physical books is a serious problem for researchers who need to cite the real page numbers. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to eventually be repurchasing several Kindle books in ebook form so that I can see where the "real" pages are located.

Any other thoughts or suggestions on my conversion issues?
  4. jonbanjo

jonbanjo Well-Known Member

Someone else may be able to chip in with some more practical ideas. I'm afraid that was all I could come up.

My only experience with working with pdf came at a time when I used to run a web site called folkinfo (I closed the site last year but a couple of bits of it remain as a static archive here and an online abc notation converter here). That just involved learning a few ghostscript (a postscript converter) commands.

I did release periodic snapshots of the song database in pdf and epub formats but failed to find a solution that converted my pdf book of scores as well as lyrics (which I could produce in one run of abcm2ps followed by one run of ghostscript) to an epub book satisfactorily. The solution I used (which I'm afraid wouldn't help you) was to generate individual html pages for each song and use Calibre to convert that to epub.

but I drift...