Need an android forensic expert - unplayable MP3sSupport

Last Updated:

1. R. Kamidees

R. Kamidees Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 24, 2010
    Okay, I'm one of those people who dive in head first and check the depth of the pool later. So feel free to berate me at your leisure.

So I saw that the new build of Songbird supported media syncing with the Droid X (as long as you d/l the MSC device plugin). Software installed fine and I plugged in my droid (USB mass storage enabled) and the program recognized it an began to initialize the device, but then froze. I gave it some time but it never let me finish the process so I ejected the drive and force closed the program. I soon realized that my card was somewhat damaged (missing pictures and a default ringtone tipped me off) and when I tried to play any mp3 through any of my players (^3, doubleTwist, Music) I got an error that the file could not be played or has moved, yet if I took out the card or browsed the card mounted to my macbook, the files where there and playable. Google Listen is also unable to play downloaded files.

So I tried to repair the card through OS X Disk Utility, to no avail. I had the same result. I took the card out and ran it through "chkdsk /F" on my PC put it back into the phone and restarted it. The music files were back and playable, though some pictures were still missing. Jump to the next morning when my phone rang with the same default ringtone... the mp3s had gone unplayable again. So I cleared the cache on all of my music playback programs and let them search again for media files. Still, they would not play the files. Yet all of my mp3's were there in the file explorer, just couldn't play them.

My next step was to restore the card with a 3-week-old SD card image backup, which worked... for about a day. Now the music files have gone back to being unplayable. Before I completely format the card, I thought I should post about it here to see if anyone has any ideas. I'm 70% sure that Songbird had something to do with it. Is it possible that it may have altered the files on the phone OS? I've found that a restart will make the mp3s playable again, but that only lasts for a half hour. Any advice is much appreciated. I'm running the leaked version of FroYo if that matters.

P.S. don't bother with Songbird if you have a Mac. It runs even slower than doubleTwist.