• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need an app to unlock device in landscape mode

Bradyn

Lurker
Mar 26, 2015
Hi guys!

Just joined the forums to hopefully become a long time user! I hope this is the right place to ask this question :)

Anyways, My HTC ONE M8 has a gesture launch feature that allows you to unlock it after picking it up, holding it in the portrait position, and then double tapping the screen. This feature does not work in landscape mode, however. Not only that, but the phone requires a change in it's position to unlock. This is probably because you would end up unlocking it while its in your pocket often.

The reason I need an app like this is because I have a spot on my dash where I place my phone while driving. But when the phone is in this position, it is hard to reach the power button without knocking it off its stand.

So I need an app that will:
1. Allow me to unlock the phone while it is in its SCREEN OFF state.
2.Allow the unlocking of the phone in landscape mode WITHOUT the need to rotate, move, or vibrate it.
3.Allow the unlocking of the phone with a simple gesture like a tap, I would prefer not to have predefined shapes or passwords to input. Because that would be distracting!
4. Lastly, it would be beneficial to only have this app work when plugged in. But is not required. This could be achieved in Tasker I believe by launching the app only when the phone is charging.

Thanks to all who can help.
Bradyn

No help at all sorry but that seems like a daft way to lock double-tap to wake.
For example my phone uses the phone's proximity sensor to avoid it unlocking in the pocket.
I don't think you'll find an app to do what you want sorry but hopefully I'm wrong :thumbsupdroid:
(unless you go down the root model and use an exposed module but that would probably hammer your battery)

Upvote 0
Hi

Thank you all for your responses. However, I think funkylogik is right and I won't be able to find an app that will work for me. I have tried Gravity Screen, but it's a battery sucker and still doesn't work the way I would like. Tasker may be the next best option if I can set it up to keep the screen on when charging, but only in the car and not by my bedside.

Thank you all for the help.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones