1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Need an extra battery or two. Any recent reviews or recommendations?Tips

1. xrae

xrae Well-Known Member

The last couple of weeks, the battery life on my V has been dismal. I'm getting 1/2 a day, tops, before having to plug in. When I unplug, I can't think of anything I've done or downloaded recently that was out of the ordinary to cause the poor battery life.

I'm coming up on a couple events where I will need backup batteries because i won't be able to recharge throughout the day. Any of you have recent reviews or recommendations for third party batteries from Amazon or another seller? How about a battery with a charging station or dock of some kind?

Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. musick

musick Well-Known Member

I have had bad luck with the off brands sold on ebay. They dont fully charge and do strange things to my phone - I swapped one in after charging and it was only at 60% capacity but the disturbing thing was the date said 1980!!! The batteries lack safety features as well.

Id bite the bullet and buy LG/OEM batteries only.
  3. melim

melim Disabled

I was actually going to start a thread today asking if anyone has had any luck getting a real OEM battery from an eBay seller. There are quite a few on there, but I've been burned in the past with a so-called OEM battery that wasn't (for my Blackberry), from a seller with tons of good feedback. If not eBay, where's a reputable place that doesn't cost a fortune?

I'm getting the battery for my V's 1st Birthday on Wed, BTW (yes, there will be a party). :cool:
  4. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

Good battries cost money, even though the ebay knock offs could be off the same assembly line making them like OEM, quality contorl test could be skipped.
  5. melim

melim Disabled

So where, in your opinion, is the best place to buy an OEM battery online?
  6. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

Id go right to your carrier or LG, also a good idea just cause how easy both would be on a return if say it was goofy.

extra cash paid for direct OEM is a nood n a wink payment to make sure your taken care of.

[Like getting a car battery from Sears or Walmart, neither is built different, Sears just stand behind DieHard and the extra cost ensures your taken care of if it fails.]
  7. Thorsten

Thorsten Well-Known Member

YMMV, but I like external batteries, as having to power down my phone when running out of juice while doing something critical kind of defeats the purpose for me
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  8. melim

melim Disabled

VM's website has no accessories for the V at all that I can find, and as I suspected LG wants 50 bucks for the OEM battery, which I honestly can not afford. I took a chance elsewhere and will report back when I receive it.
  9. xrae

xrae Well-Known Member

10. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

^ those item are just a bunch of rechargable AA or AAA battries that plugs into the USB port that lets it take a charge from them.

like plugging into your car when its not running, the battery is charging it.

were some early cheap ones you just put store bought toss away battries in.
  11. ke4jgx

ke4jgx Member

LG Optimus S LS670 3000mAh Extended Battery+Modified Cover+Charger Free Shipping $22.99 Gadgets-N-Gizmos.com

This is a great battery. it looks like the price went up a couple bux since i got mine. It is a rock solid battery and works great in my V
  12. G19

G19 Well-Known Member

Do you use quick settings to manage your use of gps/wifi/data and all that?

You're either using your phone hardcore or something is wrong
  13. xrae

xrae Well-Known Member

G19, I am completely hardcore! Ha ....

About a week ago I installed the app that monitors wifi and mobile data usage. That was the only thing different. I've uninstalled it, but still am seeing the battery drain more quickly. I do a lot of podcast streaming on wifi, which I know that takes a lot of juice. I also use bluetooth for most of my calls. GPS is rarely turned on. And I do use QuickSettings.

I'm not interested in an extended battery because my case won't work with it.
  14. Thorsten

nanzo and AndyOpie150 like this.
  15. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

16. xrae

xrae Well-Known Member

17. xrae

xrae Well-Known Member

Thorsten, I've checked out the "Powerbank" and I have a couple questions.

This is its own battery that you recharge by plugging into the wall or a USB? or does it run on AA batteries?

How long have you had yours? Have you noticed any degradation?
  18. McNerdius

McNerdius Well-Known Member

Am i the only one to be paranoid of this external battery concept ?

Hearing horror stories of using non-OEM chargers would make me very hesitant to use such a doohickey... Or are these issues only limited to AC chargers ? I haven't used anything but the stock AC charger... never even used it straight PC->USB because my computer's motherboard has this 3x USB power "feature" to charge stuff faster.

Paranoia cha cha cha !
  19. ke4jgx

ke4jgx Member

here are some pix that show the difference..

ImageShack Album - 11 images

I had one of those external batteries and it just got to be a pain lugging around more stuff.it now stays in my car.
    Yes i have my original parts. Went with the larger battery as I use a nylon holster i found that works perfect with the phone whether it has the standard battery or the extended one on.
  20. xrae

xrae Well-Known Member

I could use a cheapie external charger that used AA batteries with my old phone -- not a Droid -- and I didn't have any issues. It won't power my Droid, though. I've tried.
  21. Michael323

Michael323 Well-Known Member

This Anker Battery Pack / External Charger (3200mAh battery) is very slim and easy to carry around. It has a micro USB cable embedded so you don't have to carry around an extra cable, and you can charge it and your phone in series through your computer's USB port.
  22. Thorsten

Yes, it’s a lithium-polymer battery. No. Since October. No.

I’d say that unless you absolutely can’t carry this deck-of-cards-sized battery, which weighs about the same as the phone itself, it’s hard to go wrong.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  23. melim

melim Disabled

I received said supposed OEM battery today. First impression: if it is not indeed OEM it's the best darn knockoff I've ever seen. More later when I have had a chance to evaluate performance.
  24. KryptoNyte

KryptoNyte Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd report that I purchased (2) batteries and a charger from Ebay for about $13, shipping included.

I can only tell you that I've been using these (2) batteries as well as the original battery for over a year now, and all three of them have performed equally. Having the wall charger has been a treat.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.