1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Need clarification before rooting...

1. wilborama

wilborama New Member

Hi all...I've been learning/watching videos about rooting for a month now.
    Want to root my desire but really scared as I looove my phone, Also have doubts if really should root as my phone works great as it is. It's super fast (only had for 2 months) and never had any problems with it so far. Keep thinking what if I root and performance is not as good.
    I have a vodafone contract and think it's a branded one. I have no vodafone logo when turning phone on, the only voda word/sign I can see is on the unlocking/slide down bar and when I drag down the notification bar. No apps associated to vodafone.
    running 2.2
    Baseband 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27
    Kernel 2.6.32.15-g263d94 htc-kernel@and18-2#4
    Build number 2.33.161.2 CL284385 release keys
    Software 2.33.161.2
    Browser Web.Kit 3.1

I already found out it's Bravo PVT4 S-OFF (erase size value 20000) Good news right ? So I should use unrevoked 3.21 and should work without the need to flash amonRa instead of standard Unrevoked recovery image. My latest doubt is (doubts change everyday) do I need to make a goldcard before rooting. I find making a goldcard a little complicated and would rather not making one if I don't need to. I managed to find the exact/right RUU and it's safe/downloaded to my computer.
    RUU_Bravo_Froyo_Vodafone_UK_2.33.161.2_Radio_32.49.00.3
    2U_5.11.05.27_release_157522_signed.exe...

The above matches my phone.. Am i correct to think I don't really need a goldcard because of this. Would I be able to (if I needed to) unroot by just using this.
    Or should I make a goldcard just to be safe and if so is there any easy method of doing it. I have a spare 4gb sdcard that came with phone and replaced this with a 16gb sandisk class 2. I found gparted a little complicated and I don't have any type of card reader and can't insert card into my laptop. I don't understand the benefits of debranding/unlocking so not terribly bothered about it. Would be happy to know I can use ruu to return desire to original self without having to worry about a gold card.
    Thank you in advance for any advice...:D

Advertisement
  2. shauny13

shauny13 Well-Known Member

Yes that ruu will return your phone to how it was when you purchased it, if you need to return it for warranty purposes.
  3. wilborama

wilborama New Member

Thanks, I sort of new that but do I need a goldcard or will I be able to just click on the ruu (exe file) with the help of htc sync and bam. New phone ?
  4. shauny13

shauny13 Well-Known Member

if your sure your vodafone branded, then no you wont need a goldcard. Wouldn't do any harm to make 1 though just to be safe.
  5. Markhypnos

Markhypnos Well-Known Member

I was advised to make a goldcard, as it can be useful if things go wrong. Its not as complicated as you may think, just follow the steps very carefully.
  6. wilborama

wilborama New Member

Well, I've been looking around but don't know what to use. Can anybody suggest/link a easy way to make a goldcard. I'm still a bit confused about the whole goldcard thing, even after reading lots of information about it. Thanks for any help...
  7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Goldcard - Root Your HTC Hero
  8. GrenW

GrenW Well-Known Member

If you got your phone direct from Voda it will be a branded handset - mine was and it was hardly noticeable. Only the .161. in the software version gives in away without doubt. I think only Carphone Warehouse do them unbranded on contract.

You should be okay with the above RUU if that is the case but either way I'd make a goldcard. It's pretty easy, entirely risk free and could save you ass big time later on.
  9. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Well-Known Member

Are you sure your unrooted stock and S-Off?