Need Data Plan?

Last Updated:

1. PhotographerJo

PhotographerJo New Member

I'm thinking about getting an unlocked phone from At&t to use on T-mobile
    but I'm not sure if it'll work at all without a data plan.
    Would I be able to text and call?

2. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

I'm 99.9% positive with any carrier contract or prepaid a data plan is required to use a smart phone for a line of service

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2
  3. PhotographerJo

So if I bought an unlocked phone, I wouldn't be able to use any of the basic functions?
    I could do without MMS and web surfing.
  4. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

Right, because if you do it in store or online it won't let you proceed without selecting a data plan since a smart phones most main function is data related

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2
    PhotographerJo likes this.
  5. PhotographerJo

That was what I thought too but my friend has a Galaxy S2 that he bought from ebay and texting works fine for him without 4g.
  6. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

You should be able to buy an unlocked phone and use it without a data plan. If you buy it from T-Mobile on a Classic Plan then you are required to get data with it.

Call T-Mobile if you want more details.
    PhotographerJo likes this.
  7. PhotographerJo

O I see so if I bought an unlocked At&t phone then everything would work except for anything data related?
  8. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Yes. That's what I said. And I said call T-Mobile for more info.
  9. !on

!on Well-Known Member

Bit of an expensive way to have a basic phone? Sim-free phones aren't subsidised by the carrier, so are more expensive.

Calls & text will work but the other 90% will want data. You can use the free WiFi in starbucks (or wherever) for that.
  10. UltimateD

UltimateD New Member

If I buy an unlocked smartphone on Ebay, can I put the SIM card from my current T-Mobile feature phone in and be good to go? Likewise could I do the same with a smartphone that is locked to T-Mobile?
  11. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums UltimateD. :ciao:

Your sim would probably work for the phone on eBay, however, you need to make sure it has the 1700 MHz band or you won't get the 3g/4g data speeds.

Yes, a T-Mobile phone should be plug and play.