• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root NEED EXPERT HELP; GOOD problem/question that has stumped many...

Hello all

Im new to the whole forum stuff, so dont scream about threads and whatever.

I have a seemingly simple problem but no one has been able to help so far, so i turn to the android pros around here;

I have a captivate and im new to the whole rooting stuff. I am running 2.2 froyo, and i just rooted it, installed busybox, and titaniumbackup. It was said that TiBackup can uninstall bloatware.

I used it to backup bloatware then uninstall them so that all the att icon crap would disappear. In my cleaning frenzy, I seem to have somehow uninstalled the CONTACTS 1.0, and now I get an error whenever i try to see my contacts from the dialer. This is bad!

I downloaded a contacts app that is working for now at least i have a contact screen, and can see my contacts using the app.

With TB, you supposed to be able to restore the file, and YES i made a backup of contacts. When i click restore app+data, it says restoring... and just sits there for an hour. nothing.

I dont think restoring stuff takes that long. I decided to DL DROID EXPLORER so i could see files on my phone. Im using computer logic here since the captivate is essentially a pc. I figured there would be a way to get the files from wherever they are saved and put them back. But nothing im trying is working.

SO if ANYONE can help with titanium back up or Droid explorer please inform me. I can see Contacts listed in the system>app> folder, so i know they are all still on the phone somwhere... any ideas how to get it all back so that the dialer will work properly and ill see my contacts?

Will downgrading to android 2.1 put contacts + bloatware back on the phone? if so im willing to go that route.

HELP! :mad:

thanks

It would be worth trying to put the .apk for contants 1.0 back in the right directory on the phone. You'd need someone to provide you with it though, as I don't think titanium backup saves the apps in an easily usable .apk form. (The ins and outs of that is a little more complicated than you'd think, but it can be done if you want).

Reinstalling your firmware would do it of course, although chances are that would remove root too (I'm guessing).

You could also install a custom rom, if you wanted.

Upvote 0
May be a little late with a reply, but your problem is likely that the contacts.apk file is in the system partition which is traditionally mounted read-only. I think there's a "Samsung Galaxy S Tools" app on the market, which includes a way to remount system read-write. Or you can google for it. Once system is read-write, you can then restore your Titanium Backup of that contacts file.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones