• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need external battery charger -- they don't exist?

I just received 2 batteries from Wireless Galaxy Samsung SGH-I627 Propel Pro Cell Phone Batteries It's the same battery in our m900 (AB653850CABSTD) and I got a discount by hunting for coupons on the internet.

1 battery is in my phone and working great.

I also received a Samsung BlackJack II i617 Cradle Charger
the batteries fit perfectly, but the charging LED doesn't light up, will see if it charges overnight. I may have got a bad charger.:mad:

Overnight results in no charge, but I assumed that with no lights. Will check it with a multimeter and maybe take the charger apart at work next week and see what is up.

Upvote 0
No, I don't think so after reading your post. I pulled the battery cover off the phone to see if I could find the voltage. It was right on the battery 3.7 Li-ion.

I tried looking up the both battery dimensions but didn't have much luck. I think I'm just going to order the blackjack II battery and post my results. If I don't get a response by Sunday.

Upvote 0
No, I don't think so after reading your post. I pulled the battery cover off the phone to see if I could find the voltage. It was right on the battery 3.7 Li-ion.

I tried looking up the both battery dimensions but didn't have much luck. I think I'm just going to order the blackjack II battery and post my results. If I don't get a response by Sunday.

i agree. mine says 3.7 as well

if ours gets x time out of a 1440mAh we should get about 20% more out of a 1700mAh battery which would be very very sweet. esp if it fits in the 617 charger which i just ordered. i mean if it physically fits has the same voltage, wouldn't one with just more amp hours work better?

Upvote 0
i had one of these for my old mogul

motoBatteryCharger.jpg

the thing is awesome, drops in your pocket or bag, can charge the phone quickly a few times and at night you hook your wall charger to this and this to the phone and charge both at the same time, no removing batteries quick and easy

i just ordered one for the moment, $20 shipped with a spare wall charger

OEM Motorola MicroUSB P790 Portable Charger Krave ZN4 - eBay (item 180422420972 end time Dec-19-09 10:26:56 PST)

Upvote 0
i had one of these for my old mogul

motoBatteryCharger.jpg

the thing is awesome, drops in your pocket or bag, can charge the phone quickly a few times and at night you hook your wall charger to this and this to the phone and charge both at the same time, no removing batteries quick and easy

i just ordered one for the moment, $20 shipped with a spare wall charger

OEM Motorola MicroUSB P790 Portable Charger Krave ZN4 - eBay (item 180422420972 end time Dec-19-09 10:26:56 PST)

They are 9 with shipping on Amazon Amazon.com: Motorola P790 Portable Charger: Electronics
if you want the mini usb model, + 3 bucks shipping for the mini to micro adapters.

very good stuff. do we need the mini or micro usb charger setup?

Upvote 0
I may be wrong, but I haven't found a micro version of the charger (we need micro for the Moment). So you need the adapter cable. I have both in my cart on Amazon and it's looking to be about $12 total cost with shipping.

But I'm still working on the spare battery option. I prefer to just switch to a charged battery than have to charge it up, or have it hanging off of the phone. I have purchased an external charger and 2 extra batteries as detailed on my previous posts. But the chargers AC adapter arrived broken :mad:. Haven't found a way to store/carry the extra charged battery yet. This
OEM Samsung Battery Charger Cradle for Samsung Instinct - eBay (item 280426341373 end time Nov-26-09 13:37:44 PST) is too small, but I had a version of these for my Helio Ocean. Unfortunetly they were only available through the website so there are no online pics. So I took a few and it's the standard charger plugged into the case on top, a second case open in the middle and a spare battery on the bottom, the second picture is of the case and battery upside down.

Of course I would prefer if the batteries lasted all day, but I like having a spare battery in a charger that I can carry with me in my pocket, or leave charging in the car.

DSCF1738.jpg

DSCF1741.jpg

Of course I would prefer if the batteries lasted all day, but I like having a spare battery in a charger that I can carry with me in my pocket, or leave charging in the car.

Upvote 0
If I'm going with a back up charger I'm going with the Tekkeon. It uses 4 AA's so you can keep a spare set of 4 charged and ready if need be or they can be spare rechargeables if you need AA. I'll take them over proprietary Li+ ones any day. Even better with eneloops that hold their charge too.

Much better idea, but you are still going to need a mini to micro adapter or use your laptop cable or get a regular to micro retractable cable to use.

Upvote 0
hmmm....weird because I could swear I'm using the microUSB tip with it. Possible that I had one from something else, but I could be mistaken. Have had so many adapters over the years that they all sit in a box which is where I dumped that little accessory kit.

Well, at least the Moto adapter for $2 is a no brainer. Keeps all those mini usb cables and chargers from being useless. I had some 3" mini usb cables too from some usb card readers so the two combined make for a versatile travel pkg especially with a nice one amp usb AC adapter.

One thing to take notice of, many BT headsets that have microUSB have very minimal amperage on their AC adapters so if you planned on using one, do know that it'll be barely a trickle. My one was like .18 amps. Was wondering why the battery went back to yellow after 10 minutes of use after a half hour of charging.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I do have an LG bluetooth headset/mic that I've been using as a backup charger by the door, and I just checked, it's .2A.

I think from reading the notes on the amazon page, that second adapter is a Samsung adapter (but the proprietary one, not for the Moment)

If I don't get a good response from the company that shipped me the broken AC adapter for the Blackjack II external charger, I will probably go with your suggestion, best I've seen so far.

Upvote 0
Well my original order for the blackjack charger is being refunded, I'm going for a second round on amazon and we'll see if mine works as well as some other people. I already have two spare batteries. Still need to find a charged battery holder.

just got mine in yesterday. charges a dead battery (or close to it) in under 2 hours and i haven't used one in mine yet but the g/f used one in hers and said it stayed at 100% a little longer than her 'broken' in one. she has light usage and so i'm expecting maybe a bit shorter life, but initial reports are the same as johnny in that it works great.

i used a/c power as well not USB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones