Need good wired hands free for N1

Last Updated:

1. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

I need a good wired hands free kit for the N1. I LOVE the one that comes with the N1, however, the earbuds are just too damn big. :(

I would like to have one that has controls on it. Does anyone know of any N1 specific ones out there or ones from other devices that work?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Have you tried the ear phones with out the pads? I found that with the ear pads they make the earpieces too big and uncomfortable. I found that helped. :)

3. Talderon

Yeah, I have never installed the pads. I can get them in my ears, but if I move my head at all, then they just come lose and fall out. :(

4. Roze

Awww...that sucks, the earphones are virgin snug in my ears (sorry...I had to use that phrase). I can't help you on this one, I'm a bluetooth earpiece type of person. I'm only using the stock earphones because it's cute with the android on it. :D

5. Talderon

LOL! Nice! I like that cute little guy on it because it tells me which ear that one goes in. :p

Thanks for replying, I may try a DIY thing that someone else did on XDA that takes those ear buds off and allows you to put a 35mm female input so you have the same controls and the mic, but your own headphones.

Stock headphone mod - xda-developers

More details here:

http://www.irregular-expression.com/?p=14

6. Roze

That's way too much electrical skills for me...the best I can do is...screw on a light bulb >_>

hmm...the buttons on the controller has just died on me! And this is my 3rd day using the damn earphones!!! :eek: Is there a way I can reset it? *argh* :mad:

7. Talderon

Ummm... uhhhhh... take the batteries out? You know, those micro-mini ones that you can't get too because they are so small you have to imagine they are there?

Honestly, I have no idea really. I just want it for the inline mic.

If I can find an already made set that will work and not cost me my other arm and leg from buying this phone, I might part with my headphones for ya. :D

8. Roze

Very kind of you, but they should be under warranty. I'll call HTC support later tonight and see if they'll replace it for me.

9. Bazan

Bazan New Member

The iPhone headset is pretty nice.

10. Talderon

Does it work with the Nexus One?

11. Bazan

Bazan New Member

Yeah, thats what I use

12. Roze

Found the issue...it was for some strange reason caused by the Helix Launcher 2 app...when I switched back to the stock Launcher, I could use the buttons again. Now here's the funny thing...when I went back to Helix Launcher...the buttons still work! haha.

13. lithium1330

lithium1330 Member

I just did a test with both headsets (iphone 3GS vs. N1). I called my gf's iPhone and left 2 voicemails, 1st vm with the iphone headset, the 2nd with N1 headset. Both calls done within 1 min using the N1.

My hypothesis was that the iPhone headset would sound louder/better because the mic is much closer to the mouth of the user (those not familiar with the iphone headset, the mic is on the shorter lead - ~8" from the ear-bud). Whereas, the N1 headset would offer a lower volume since the mic is hanging around my chest area (the mic is approx. 16" from the ear-bud, or ~2x the distance compared to iPhone headset).

The result: the N1 headset actually offers better audio quality (less static, clearer and louder volume) than the iPhone headset. So, I'm a little confused to where is the mic for the N1 headset. My gf believes it could be the impedance of the headset, but I can't say for certain.

Thoughts from others?

BTW, the N1 ear bud is slightly larger (by 1mm or so) compared with iPhone's.