Need Gumbo-like kernel for Fresh 2.1.1, otherwise its too slow

Last Updated:

1. vladgur

vladgur Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys!
    Ive flashed with Fresh 2.1.1 and installed Systray monitor and off the bat the RAM memory was around 30 megs and otherwise performance was slower than what i was used to. I can tell its same or slightly faster than stock 1.5, but its way slower than Gumbo Kernel optimizations on fresh 1.1
    When i reflashed fresh 1.1 and gumbo kernel, the available RAM went up to 86 megs and the phone became faster and usefull again.

Im afraid even when the official updates comes along, I wont be able to use it because I got used to Gumbo's speed.
    What are your opinions and pointers for Gumbo-like optimization of 2.1 roms?

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

when the official 2.1 drops, there will likely be a few custom kernels put out, with plenty of optimizations. Because the 2.1's that are out now are based off leaks and hacks, they're not quite as refined as 1.5 was, nor has there been the kernel development with it yet (probably due to the actual kernel not being available yet, not entirely sure)

3. vladgur

vladgur Active Member This Topic's Starter

Good to know, tatonka. In this case I'll stick with Fresh 1.1 & Gumbo untill I upgrade to Evo. This phone is barely usable in stock/2.11 mode in my opinion. Gumbo brings to acceptable level of performance.

4. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

wait til Fresh Toast goes public...

5. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

Just curious, you using it? I have the link, but haven't had time to install/test it. If you have, I am curious what you think? I'm not a big fan of apps2sd so I don't really want to use that feature, but OC would be nice.

As for the OP, just hang tight. Once everything is finalized, there will be custom kernels. or wait for FT like mystic suggested :)

6. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

nope... not using it.. I really don't NEED to OC my phone.. used to OC my PC but over the years have decided that it just caused the hardware to burn out faster.. on a phone the battery life would be reduced and heat would be an issue as well.

it's been released to the public as of this morning.. Download: Fresh Toast v2.1 Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero

7. ccapasso

8. androidtp

androidtp Well-Known Member

are you forced to use apps2sd?? and why am i seeing so many users download this ROM but dont flash it? is it cuz it's still in the experimental phase??

9. ccapasso

To be honest, I'm not sure if you are forced to use apps2sd or not. It was experimental, but was released to the public the other day.

10. ccapasso

Ok, after reading on geekfor.me I found a quote from Flipz that said we can use the ROM without the EXT partition. That would mean that apps2sd does NOT have to be enabled to use this ROM.

11. aceofspades626

aceofspades626 Well-Known Member

Just loaded Fresh yesterday without A2SD. You do not have to use it.

12. cajunjacket

cajunjacket Active Member

How do you disable it?

13. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

It only works if you partition your card for it to work. It doesn't automatically do a2sd...

14. aceofspades626

aceofspades626 Well-Known Member

It's more a question of how do you enable it. The answer being, "partition your sd card".

If you don't want a2sd, just don't partition