Need help/advice making my Note 3 operate as my work PC.General

1. iMurderous

iMurderous Member

So I ordered a dock for the note 3 (only USB 2 though) and was wondering what is gonna be the best way to implement this as a desktop replacement AT WORK? I need to be able to offload files I download to a USB stick, and use a mouse keyboard combo, word processing and printing( I have a wireless printer), ect. Apps or other hardware suggestions are welcome.

Here is the dock I got:
    Amazon.com: Aerb 3in1 Smart Multimedia HDMI Dock Station Desktop Charger Charging Data Transfer & Sync OTG for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Galaxy S4 i9500: Cell Phones & Accessories

This would be sweet to operate it as a workhorse. I own and operate a PC repair shop so I have the skills so to speak not a complete noob. Just android noob. I saw a guy on you tube accomplish this with a note 2 with no lag so im excited to try this.

Advertisement
    :
  2. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

I have a Note 2 and the Samsung Smart Dock. I have tried on my PC monitor and some hotel TVs (after disconnecting their cable box) via HDMI. I use a powered 7-port USB hub and have an external HDD in an enclosure. Also hooked up a wired keyboard and wireless RF mouse. 2 USB sticks as well. The only issue I ran into sometimes was the power supplied was inadequate. In which case, I had to disconnect some peripherals and/or shift things around.

Also required a screen rotating app as the dock locked it to portrait and had to force landscape mode. The monitor/TV also had slight issues dependent on the settings. Sometimes it would not scale properly on the monitor/TV. Had to play with monitor/TV settings to try and get it to scale properly. But sometimes not successful. So some parts of the screen were 'cut'.

Otherwise, most of the gear I had worked fine with it. I used it at home when my CPU fried and needed a replacement. Also happened when I needed to replace the motherboard (luckily, all covered by warranty). A few days down time, but still managed with the Note 2 being my secondary backup system. Though I only used it for light stuff (internet, emails, documents, etc).

I am unsure about printers as I never tried before.