1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Need help ASAP about UNROOTING my maxx

1. iMurderous

iMurderous Member

I need to know what to do to unroot the phone. I rooted but am wanting to return the phone. They wont accept rooted phones. I used pwnmymoto, but cant find how to unroot it.

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I'm pretty sure that you need to run RSD Lite and install the FXZ for the phone to return it to stock unrooted.

(Note: I have not done this with a Maxx, but I have with a Droid 3. I'm basing this on what I've read elsewhere. If it doesn't work - not my fault.)

See this thread on xda-developers.com: [FXZ] Motorola Droid Ultra/Ultra MAXX FXZ download link - xda-developers

It has the location to download the FXZ file. You'll want the second link, named obake-maxx_verizon-user-4.2.2-12.9.0Q2.X-160-OBK_TA-14-7-7-release-keys-CFC.xml.zip, in case that isn't obvious.

The rest of the instructions you should be able to follow from here (these are for the Ultra; the Maxx is similar enough. Just make sure that you're using the link I described above, for the Maxx, rather than the Ultra FXZ file): Unbrick, unroot and restore DROID Ultra to stock with factory firmware and RSD Lite | AndroMods

The only thing I'd add is to make sure that the battery is well charged. Full charge is probably a great idea.
  3. iMurderous

iMurderous Member

OK so I found a setting in supersu, that says unroot. I clicked it, it then went to desktop or home screen, now when I run thebroot checker it says its not rooted. Is this definitely unrooted? Meaning best buy won't be able to tell? Or do I need to do something else?
  4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I don't know.
  5. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member Guide

That should have un rooted it but I would do a factory data reset just to wipe the phone clean before you return it.