• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help choosing between a Samsung Galaxy S II or Galaxy Nexus

Which handset would you choose?

• Samsung Galaxy S II

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

Gigashadow

Lurker
Aug 21, 2011
WIll ebe signing up for first contract soon, Galaxy S II or Galaxy Nexus
I will soon be going for a phone contract on Three (UK), I'm primarily going to them for their all-you-can-eat data plan which is way ahead of any data plan offered by any other network.

I considered quite a few such as the Blackberry Bold 9900 (I loved how fast I could type but decided it wasn't worth the price considering its features). I also looked at the HTC Evo 3D (but felt the performance didn't seem to be as good as some other similarly price phones). Recently I tried a Galaxy Note and I think I would have gone for it, however, Three won't be stocking it. I even considering the iPhone 4S (back when everyone was expecting the iPone 5), I'm an Android fan but I was curious about trying the competition, after seeing it wasn't much of a big leap from the iPhone 4 I changed my mind.

Now my choice comes down to the Samsung Galaxy S II and Samsung Galaxy Nexus. On Three's Text 500 + all-you-can-eat data plans the Galaxy S II is

This comparative review might help as far as the device choice goes:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus vs Samsung Galaxy S2 - News - Know Your Mobile

This might jump off the page at you:

"...the Galaxy Nexus is outclassed by the Galaxy S2 thanks to its use of the Exynos chipset and a much quicker Mali-400MP GPU which offers superior gaming and media performance."

Upvote 0
I'm personally leaning toward the Nexus. My reason for that choice is I'm looking for the pure android experience. I generally don't game on my phones and rarely watch movies, that's what my tablet will be fore. If the Galaxy is true to form of the previous Nexus family then it will be pretty easy to tweak and customize. That's something I'm putting high value in. As previously stated your best bet is going to the store and doing a side by side test to see which one you like better.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that, I also found it for £28 a month for Text 300 plus All-you-can-eat data (more than a enough texts and minutes for me but Three don't appear to offer it themselves).

I can't help but wonder if cheaper deals on the Galaxy Nexus on Three will eventually appear there, still I can't wait forever. That contract may be the decision maker for me.

Also can you show me any sort of evidence that buymobilephones.net are trustworthy? I can't see any Three deals on Quidco for the Galaxy S II.
Like I said, I got an s2 from them last week without any problems but that's my only dealing with them. I couldn't possibly vouch for them other than that.

Search for buymobilephones on quidco (or topcashback). It's only 30 quid but every little helps.

Personally, I was looking forward to the nexus but I've found the reviews to be underwhelming. I like Touchwiz on the s2 and I'm comfortable With rooting so I could get ICS early if I really wanted it.

Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone who replied.

I've contacted buymobilephones.net to ask if they will get Galaxy Nexus contracts with Three anytime soon, if so then I'm back to square one but with a cheaper contract (a big thank you to Sak01 for that, I've checked with other forums and the site seems trustworthy). If not then I guess its the Galaxy S II.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones