• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help: connecting to Exchange 2000 via OWA

jason99si

Lurker
Nov 11, 2009
I'm not able to connect to my corporate exchange 2000 server since switching to the droid. I was able to connect on my Verizon BB curve.

To connect via the web, I access the website at https://mail.corp.company.com

Then I click a link to log in, which pops a browser dialogue for username and password. I enter domain\username, then my password and access it.

So when I use my Droid.. ive tried every combination of server name (not using the https:// of course). and every combination of username (with the domain, without, etc.) and all I get is a black screen and no mail.

This worked on the BB... so I'm confident it can be done. Any suggestions beyond what's already out there? I've read nearly every thread.

You did it on OWA with the BB or through BES? Can you test internally through WEP instead of 3G from within the corp net? How many users are on that server? Are you an admin on the server?

How I used to do it on the curve: I connected through my BB, just through email settings. I didn't use BES, that's only enabled for corp owed blackberries, which I didn't have. I had a personal one.

Can I test it internally through WEP? Not sure what you're asking here. I don't think so. I work for a fortune 100 company which locks down pretty much everything, we don't even have WEP internally for security reasons. So no :)

I'm not the admin.

Upvote 0
How I used to do it on the curve: I connected through my BB, just through email settings. I didn't use BES, that's only enabled for corp owed blackberries, which I didn't have. I had a personal one.

Can I test it internally through WEP? Not sure what you're asking here. I don't think so. I work for a fortune 100 company which locks down pretty much everything, we don't even have WEP internally for security reasons. So no :)

I'm not the admin.

So, OWA wasn't tested through the BB web browser, correct?

I don't know how you connect BB without using BES unless it's through IMAP or POP. Do you still have the BB? Can you figure out what protocol it was using?

Maybe your account is BES enabled and you didn't know it. If that's the case then it's probably a firewall thing that the Droid can't work around.

I assume OWA works OK from your home computer?

Upvote 0
Got my hands on a BB thats configured to work with my work exchange server. It does work through the regular web browser. Here are the settings:

It's set up as an email account name: fname.lame@company.com

Username: domain\username

(the rest are under advanced settings)

Email server: https://mail.corp.company.com

email account: fname.lastname

And thats it! When using the same settings on the droid I get "Sync Failed" in the upper-left for a split second, then the display just shows black (no messages) with the little loading icon spinning in the upper right.

Free beer for whoever figures it out.

Upvote 0
Got my hands on a BB thats configured to work with my work exchange server. It does work through the regular web browser. Here are the settings:

And thats it! When using the same settings on the droid I get "Sync Failed" in the upper-left for a split second, then the display just shows black (no messages) with the little loading icon spinning in the upper right.

Ugh wait. I'm still not crystal clear on your config. Are you seeing "[FONT=&quot]Sync Failed"in the web browser or in the e-mail client? I don't understand why the Browser app would report Synch Failed.

Please clear that up for me.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
Ugh wait. I'm still not crystal clear on your config. Are you seeing "[FONT=&quot]Sync Failed"in the web browser or in the e-mail client? I don't understand why the Browser app would report Synch Failed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please clear that up for me. [/FONT]

I was trying to use the email client (which worked on the blackberry).

Since reading your note, I tried the web browser. I'm not prompted for my username and password... I just get this message "Error: Access is Denied."

Upvote 0
I was trying to use the email client (which worked on the blackberry).

Since reading your note, I tried the web browser. I'm not prompted for my username and password... I just get this message "Error: Access is Denied."

Well the good news is I have an answer for you. The bad news is, it ain't gonna work unless your company upgrades to a newer version of Exchange and still might not work if they don't enable activesynch.

Look for K9 app in Market and there's another one that I forgot the name of that might help. I don't remember if Exchange 2000 had IMAP support but that might work IF the server is configured for it. I doubt that's the case but you can try.

For the web browser, try different combination of your e-mail name. user@company.com and then domain\user to see if that makes a difference. I don't think it will though.

DROID by Motorola - Android phone - Motorola USA shows that 2003 is the earliest version the phone can synch with the default mail client.

Sorry.

Upvote 0
The Android *absolutely will not* connect via OWA.

It *will* connect via ActiveSync.

Why people confuse OWA with ActiveSync is beyond me.

OWA == Webmail (gmail, yahoo, etc.), typically with NO access to the underlying Exchange server.

Activesync == Exchange server which may or may not give you access via OWA.

If someone asks "Will the Droid work with OWA?", they're talking about connecting to, say, http://webmail.companyname.com/Exchange or https://webmail.companyname.com/exchweb

This works on the BB (no special setup required, except for entering the *full* URL [ /Exchange ] ) and the iPhone, but it does not work at all on Android phones.

Upvote 0

i get the same thing. seems to connect, but blank email screen/nothing on the calendar...

The Android *absolutely will not* connect via OWA.

It *will* connect via ActiveSync.

Why people confuse OWA with ActiveSync is beyond me.

OWA == Webmail (gmail, yahoo, etc.), typically with NO access to the underlying Exchange server.

Activesync == Exchange server which may or may not give you access via OWA.

If someone asks "Will the Droid work with OWA?", they're talking about connecting to, say, http://webmail.companyname.com/Exchange or https://webmail.companyname.com/exchweb

This works on the BB (no special setup required, except for entering the *full* URL [ /Exchange ] ) and the iPhone, but it does not work at all on Android phones.
I've seen donzes of other users in other forums that have confirmed they have been able to put their OWA server in the email settings for the Droid and have everything sync. i'm not sure if you were just talking about the semantics of the post or saying it won't work

Upvote 0
i get the same thing. seems to connect, but blank email screen/nothing on the calendar...

I've seen donzes of other users in other forums that have confirmed they have been able to put their OWA server in the email settings for the Droid and have everything sync. i'm not sure if you were just talking about the semantics of the post or saying it won't work

That's because they have AS enabled on the server. You can't simply enter an OWA server and have it work unless all the ports are open, AS is turned on, and your account is allowed to sync. OWA only needs *one* port open - 80, or 8080 if you want SSL. Every *other* function of Exchange requires additional ports.

A BB will fetch mail via OWA regardless. BBs don't need activesync, permissions, policies or any ports other than HTTP/HTTPS. If your company allows you to access your Exchange mail via the web, but doesn't allow you to sync to portable devices, the BB doesn't care.

So, again: You can enter your OWA settings and have them work *if* your OWA settings are the *same* as your activesync settings, *and* if you have the proper permissions on the server, *and* if the services are exposed to the internet.

Upvote 0
That's because they have AS enabled on the server. You can't simply enter an OWA server and have it work unless all the ports are open, AS is turned on, and your account is allowed to sync. OWA only needs *one* port open - 80, or 8080 if you want SSL. Every *other* function of Exchange requires additional ports.

A BB will fetch mail via OWA regardless. BBs don't need activesync, permissions, policies or any ports other than HTTP/HTTPS. If your company allows you to access your Exchange mail via the web, but doesn't allow you to sync to portable devices, the BB doesn't care.

So, again: You can enter your OWA settings and have them work *if* your OWA settings are the *same* as your activesync settings, *and* if you have the proper permissions on the server, *and* if the services are exposed to the internet.
thanks for the clarification

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones