• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help convincing girl to get Android not Iphone

I told her not to and that Android was so much better.
Better is always highly subjective no matter what the topic. You'd have to clarify what she's looking for in a smartphone in order for us to determine where Android has advantages for her.

My fiancee prefers the Droid, FWIW. Don't assume that you can rely on gender stereotypes to find a device suited to your girlfriend.

To the posters asking why try to sway her opinion, I think that if he is more knowledgeable than her when it comes to phones and knows her requirements, he can choose a better phone for her than she could. He is a consultant.
Being more knowledgeable helps but it what really matters is being able to differentiate one's personal preferences from "fact" and having the ability to assess another's needs that may be very different from one's own.

I mean, I really like my Droid. That doesn't mean that it's a one-size-fits-all solution. Selecting a smartphone is a matter of finding what suits the individual. If the assumption is made that "Android is better" for everyone then he's not very well equipped to help people find suitable smartphones IMO.

Upvote 0
Think of it this way: who cares if the cpu says 1 ghz if it's slow? Who cares if the camera is 12 megapixels if the pictures it takes look like crud? You have to show what the phone can do for you and not just list a bunch of tech numbers on paper.

That's true, but I'm not sure if the OP could physically show her the Incredible. I was merely saying that to get her interested in at least looking at the phone, he should tell her some of the specs. When he actually does get to show her the Incredible then she'll know what to expect.

Upvote 0
I think the bottom line here is that the iPhone is actually a very good phone for most people. Think about it. Most people already buy their music from iTunes, and the iPhone is integrated with iTunes. The iPhone will always get updates much faster than Android devices since Apple controls the hardware. The iPhone's app catalog is much more diverse and wide-ranging than Android's as well. There are many reasons why a mainstream individual would want an iPhone over an Android device. Basically, just let people get what they want. It's not that big a deal.

Upvote 0
So my friend wants to get an Iphone this summer. I told her not to and that Android was so much better. Then after that a couple Apple fanboys came in to say it wasn't, but thats for another time. She said if I could find a phone that is same shape and looks somewhat like the Iphone and if I proved why it was better than the Iphone that she would think about. I was thinking the Incredible would be a good phone for her. She just thinks the Droid is to manly. So come on Android Forums list some reasons why the Android powered phones are better than Apple's Iphone :D

edit: I told her the rumor about Verizon getting the Iphone, so its Verizon phones.

Sorry man but she just wants an iPhone for the style and the "in" factor of it. That pretty well sums it up. Besides, IMO Android is more for techy type people. There is no convincing that can be done to make her think something is better (Android) than something everyone else has (iPhone).

And for your last line about listing why Android phones are better...they aren't. iPhoneOS=Android. In all reality they both have strengths and weaknesses. Some work better for certain people and certain applications. My wife will never have anything but an iPhone again. She has messed with Android and she can't stand it. Me, I don't think I ever want an iPhone again. iPhone and iTunes are easier for someone that doesn't care about the technological side as much.

Upvote 0
I don't think having to jailbreak your phone just to change the wallpaper is easier. You'd have to be a real hacker person in order to get the most from an iPhone.

No, it's ridiculously easy to jailbreak now and get the phone up and running the way you want.

My 13 year old brother decided to jailbreak his iPod Touch and he's got all kinda of crazy things on it. I think he said Spirit is the easiest jailbreak method? You could probably get it done with little technical know-how at this point.

Upvote 0
No, it's ridiculously easy to jailbreak now and get the phone up and running the way you want.

My 13 year old brother decided to jailbreak his iPod Touch and he's got all kinda of crazy things on it. I think he said Spirit is the easiest jailbreak method? You could probably get it done with little technical know-how at this point.

Yeah it is with 3.1.3. On 3.1.2, blackra1n is just as easy. You literally plug your iWhatever into your computer, launch the jailbreak application and press the button. After that you just launch Cydia and browse applications like you would in the app store. Unfortunately Cydia is slow and buggy, so i don't really find jailbreaking very advantageous since it's so annoying to get some apps installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones